Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 and firewalls

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Win7 and firewalls

Is anyone using a 3rd party firewall with win7 or is the default firewall considered ok. With Xp is used to use the free version of Zonealarm but they don't seem to be to keen on updating it for W7 so I'm just using the default one at the moment
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Win7 and firewalls

Using Kaspersky - KIS2010 - no noticeable firewall problems
Not applicable

Ditto as above but have noticed that there is no security centre now and that the Windows firewall is marked red and reports that it is not using recommended settings.
I assume that it is not recognising Kaspersky.
Oldjim - is yours like this?  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The same - you need to open the Action Centre - that flag thing in the right hand notification area
Action Centre reports as below
Not applicable

Thanks for that - will check tomorrow.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

I'm going for a complete M$ security set up with W7 at the moment. I abandoned the ZoneAlarm firewall for the M$ one on XP some time ago feeling reasonably secure behind the NAT firewall of a router and now the combination of M$ Security Essentials with built-in UAC in W7 seems to me be adequate for my requirements. I have even abandoned Acronis and have started to use the built in disk image backup facility within W7.
But it is early days at the moment and time will tell if my faith is justified  ...in the meantime it's very awkward to type this with your fingers crossed Roll_eyes
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It looks as though I will keep with the windows firewall for a time, I'm using Avast antivirus which seems to be behaving itself, unlike Avg9 which took over the computer Undecided