Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 Prof SP!/HP 6100 Printer problem.

colintivy
Rising Star

Win7 Prof SP!/HP 6100 Printer problem.

Hi folks,
Lenovo E535 laptop  and printer (nearly new).
I have occasionally had a Blue Screen shut-down during printing ordinary texts on this combination. I have moved the laptop as far as I can away from the printer which seems to reduce the problem but not cure it. I am using USB2 connection for them. When Windows gets going it goes through the "Unexpected shut-down" routine and tells me to report to M$ which I do. It also refers to data in files on the C\ drive. These are;- C:\Windows\Minidump\112214-31052-01.dmp & C:\User\Colin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-44550-0.sysdata.xml.
I have tried to search for these using all or parts of their names all without any success. Is there any evidence of similar things happening elsewhere? If so please let me know.
edit typo.
Sad
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Win7 Prof SP!/HP 6100 Printer problem.

Quote from: colintivy
... It also refers to data in files on the C\ drive. These are;- C:\Windows\Minidump\112214-31052-01.dmp & C:\User\Colin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-44550-0.sysdata.xml.
I have tried to search for these using all or parts of their names all without any success.

I know the Windows 8 way is to search for something even if you know exactly where it is but in this case you might well need to navigate to the folders where the files are contained then look inside.  I think the contents may be outside the scope of a normal search.
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks RR.
I will probe further. Did not think that I was missing something!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if you have the full address open any file explorer window and then type it into the address bar
but you will need to change settings to "show hidden files"  the reason they don't pop on a search is there hidden  I know its dumb but that's MS
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi NM
That looks interesting, must look into your advice. Have not much time with a surfeit of Xmas cards to deal with in conjuction with SWMBO.
Any clues about the source of interference, presumably generated by the printer?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I would hazard a guess that either there is a configuration issue with the printer setup or a hardware fault,
not sure how conversant you are with windows, there is an option to set programs to operate as admin rights and also options to change the data execution protection, personally I would change the DEP settings first, if your unsure how that's done just post back and no doubt help will be forthcoming.
ive had issues with USB devices in the past causing BSOD's but generally only on mice with a programmable setup where it misfires the predefined keystrokes (normally when the mouse lead is loose it causes the display driver to crash resulting in a minifreeze before recovering particularly with amd mobo & gfx)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you