Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 HP.. Now only bootable in safe mode :(

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Win7 HP.. Now only bootable in safe mode :(

This morning the desktop PC was fine. No problems, worked flawlessly but had to go out so shut it down.
Got back a few hours later, turned it on, clicked on my name, got to the password screen, typed in my password and ended up back on the username screen - having to start again. Clicked my name again, entered my password again and then the screen went black showing just my mouse pointer.
At first I thought it was just on a go slow for some reason but a couple of minutes later its still making no progress.
Rebooted, tried again. No repeated logon this time but I still only got as far as the black screen after entering my password.
Rebooting again and pulling the network cable I finally got to my desktop however I could not launch any of the 4 installed browsers. Nothing else would work, task manager took forever to show up and even then it was only an icon in the tray.
Repeated reboots have all been the same. The only thing I can do is use safe mode with networking. Looking at the event viewer I see a lot of error messages that the Computer Browser failed to start because the server service that it depends on failed to start. I'm unsure if this is because I've booted into safe mode or if this is the error that is locking up the system normally. Either way I'm stuffed!
When I used the machine this morning I did nothing unusual, just visit the regular forums and email and then shutdown.
Any ideas? I've found nothing that is of any use on google.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES 21
dccrepairs
Grafter

Re: Win7 HP.. Now only bootable in safe mode :(

Hi, Sprite
Have you tried doing a malware scan, if not download malwarebytes and scan using that for anything.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have you got any USB dongles in USB ports?  when booting up..?
I had similar problems when trying to boot with my HDD caddy in a USB port...
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: dccrepairs
Hi, Sprite
Have you tried doing a malware scan, if not download malwarebytes and scan using that for anything.

Scanning now. It's found 2 things apparently but it picked them both up in my data folder (my stuff - not system stuff). I'd be very surprised if anything was in there that is dangerous to the system. I'll have to wait for the scan to finish before I can find out what they are - the UI won't let me go onto the other tabsheets.
@shutter Only a bluetooth dongle via a usb hub. I've pulled the plug on that (and my printer) and now have just a mouse and keyboard plugged in but no difference Sad
I'm really stumped. It was fine this morning, come home and it's knackered unless in safe mode. I came to expect this sort of thing from Win98, rarely with WinMe, never with WinXP.. this system has been fine for over a year and suddenly..  Sad
dccrepairs
Grafter

What was the result of the scan? If you are still having problems I could try a remote session (goto: www.dccrepairs.co.uk/remote.html for more details). I'm off to bed now but pm in the morning or call the number listed on the site and i will be happy to help.
7up
Community Veteran

Well I fell asleep on the sofa waiting for scan to finish..
2 objects detected, both of which are programs I know of and have had for years. Both in my personal files not the system.. Both programs haven't been used for years so its coincidence that they were even detected.
So now I'm left with my original conclusion.. Windows has shot itself in the foot somehow. Like I said earlier, it was fine in the morning, came back, booted up.. unable to do anything unless I go into safe mode. Very irritating..
Right.. off to bed  Cry
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Sprite
Well I fell asleep on the sofa waiting for scan to finish..

Still using Spybot Search and Destroy?
Run a System Restore from Safe Mode or (better) via the F8 'Repair your computer' option.  In the latter instance I find I get an occasional false negative where you get a message telling you System Restore has failed whereas when you restart the computer you find it has succeeded.
dccrepairs
Grafter

How is it going so far?
It sounds like something is failing to load during normal start up, If you would like me to take a look feel free to call the 0800 number listed on my site and ignore the part about payment on the remote support section I am always happy to help another Plusnet user 😉
CX
Grafter

Which antivirus software are you using?
I recently encountered an issue with Avast which was stopping the network services from running (the little network icon had a red cross in it). I couldn't do anything on the PC in regular boot mode - the system just stopped loading programs after logging onto the desktop (click on an icon - nothing, try to use task manager - nothing). I was able to get it functioning again by booting into safe mode and stopping the Avast service and by process of elimination tracked it down to one of its shields misbehaving.
Like you, this started after rebooting (no issues before the restart).
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

System Restore is your chance to put the clock back to when your computer was working properly.  You never learn what what wrong - unless you happen to repeat the steps that caused the problem first time round.  But his time you can tread more carefully and be on your guard.
7up
Community Veteran

Hi all
Thanks for your replies since last night and sorry I've not replied since - busy day with car issues, cat needing the vets etc.
@Reed: No I'm not 'still' using 'Spybot Search and Destroy', actually I've never used it tbh so I doubt that would be the cause of it. I am considering using the system restore however I had a bad experience of this moons ago with XP where half of the files on my desktop disappeared despite the windows reassurance it wouldn't happen. I then also found quite a few others were gone too which I wasn't terribly happy about hence I try to avoid where possible. I'm also quite a light user - I don't visit any dodgy sites really just the same few each day that I've visited for years - the PN forum being one of them. Nothings really changed apart from the odd google search but I didn't even do that yesterday when the machine was ok.
@cx23880: Avast actually so I was rather interested to see your reply. I've not had the red x on the network icon, I just simply can't get into my desktop at all unless in safe mode. I did manage a couple fo times with the network cable out but I tried it again another time and it froze as if the cable was in. Weird huh? I'll try disabling avast and try to boot normally again just in case.
@dccrepairs: Thanks kindly for the offer, I'll try not to tazke up your time but I may still come back to you if thats ok? - To be honest I might just reinstall the system as its been good to me for over a year so I can't really complain as I'd be lucky to get XP running for 9 months Cheesy
CX
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
@cx23880: Avast actually so I was rather interested to see your reply. I've not had the red x on the network icon, I just simply can't get into my desktop at all unless in safe mode. I did manage a couple fo times with the network cable out but I tried it again another time and it froze as if the cable was in. Weird huh? I'll try disabling avast and try to boot normally again just in case.

The way that I recovered (or attributed it to Avast) was as follows:

• Boot into Safe Mode

• Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services (or click Start and type services.msc)

• Find avast! Antivirus and set change the Startup Type from Automatic to Disabled

Interestingly, it wouldn't break Windows if it was started manually after booting with Avast disabled, so I suspect it was the behaviour monitor shield blocking a Windows service from starting at bootup. I reproduced it a few times - setting the service back to Automatic resulted in Windows breaking, set to Disabled and I could log in.
In any case, removing unnecessary shields (which included the Behaviour Shield that I believe was the problem) via the Avast entry in Add/Remove Programs fixed it. I did remove the Network Shield at the time too, but have since reinstalled it without issue.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: CX23880
Which antivirus software are you using?
I recently encountered an issue with Avast which was stopping the network services from running (the little network icon had a red cross in it). I couldn't do anything on the PC in regular boot mode - the system just stopped loading programs after logging onto the desktop (click on an icon - nothing, try to use task manager - nothing). I was able to get it functioning again by booting into safe mode and stopping the Avast service and by process of elimination tracked it down to one of its shields misbehaving.
Like you, this started after rebooting (no issues before the restart).

You get the award for hitting the nail on the head!
I've just disabled avast, rebooted and straight back to my normal desktop. I remember having this issue with avast a couple of years back on my netbook but never thought of it happening again so when I saw your post it jolted my memory and  made me try disabling it due to past experience. Disabled and now look.. I'm posting from my normal desktop - woohoo!
Thanks CX I'd completely forgotten about previous experience of avast and would have spent days being frustrated with this! I thought there must be something at work interfering with something somewhere.. I guess I'll have to uninstall and download the latest version.
CX
Grafter

Cheesy
I spent a few hours head-scratching when this happened to me. I was sure that I hadn't changed anything on the system, so was beginning to suspect a hardware failure of the NIC. It was a leap of faith to blame Avast.
Now, I only use the File System Shield, Web Shield, Network Shield and Script Shield and everything seems ok (except that the script shield doesn't appear to work at all).
dccrepairs
Grafter

Hi Sprite,
It's no problem at all the offer is still open and am more than happy to help out, i have to pop out shortly for an hour but will be back after that, their is a mobile listed on the site if you wish to talk in the mean time.
Ah just seen your problem has been sorted, glad to hear it.  Smiley