cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP. Using AT command for DawnChorus.mp3 alarm

Stewie
Grafter

Win XP. Using AT command for DawnChorus.mp3 alarm

Familiar with XP? Take a look at this windows XP commandline statement to start playing a dawn chorus at 0836
at 08:36 /INTERACTIVE "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe" "birdsong.mp3"
it works, but weirdly after running it I can no longer run  mplayer2.exe directly by double clicking mplayer2.exe.
Once 'at' has been used I can only run mplayer2.exe via 'at'.
YES! - I know normal people run wmplayer.exe but leaving that aside, can anyone tell me ;-
1)  why I can no longer run mplayer2.exe directly, once it has been started using 'at'?
And
2) how can I get mplayer2.exe to run directly again? (sometimes I just want the old compact simple program).
BTW Click here http://www.seabrooks.plus.com/stereo/Birdsong_cPathsMeetCalmFrostySunday.mp3 to download your 32Mb 20minute digitally recorded stereo dawn chorus .mp3.
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Win XP. Using AT command for DawnChorus.mp3 alarm

Have you checked your task manager to see if the mplayer2 is still resident in memory as it hasn't shut down correctly?
Also can't you create a scheduled task rather than using the command line?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Stewie
Grafter

yes and yes. Thanks.  Embarrassed As you see it was a bit late. And I'd not considered scheduled tasks before. It was just a quick spur of the moment idea. Guess I have some light RTFM to do now, I expected an application to be visible on the taskbar, but I can see now it just gets left in memory with no indication on the taskbar. Thanks for getting me back on track. BTW love the avatar.
johpal
Grafter

Tried listening to the link, but prefer the one through my open window. Problem is, it can't be scheduled...
grimme
Grafter

The link below suggests that older versions of mplayer could be controlled with /play and /close commands through a dos batch file. Although the older versions don't support .mp3 files - I wonder if the same syntax to control the playing/closing could be applied to the mplayer2 program?
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001041.htm
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: Stewie
BTW love the avatar.

I 'borrowed' it from someone on the kitz forum - can't claim any credit!
glad you're getting it sorted.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'