cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP Pro = x32bit or x64bit - installation drivers confusion

bubbalicious
Grafter

Win XP Pro = x32bit or x64bit - installation drivers confusion

I have a laptop that is running Win Xp Professional and am a bit confused with whether it is 32bit or 64 bit. I have followed the advice on Microsofts website and am seeeing that it appears to be a 32bit, however, when installing devices I always find it's the 64bit driver I need! attached pics below show  the results where microsoft state I will find the info http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02033168&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=4022...
It's becoming a bit of nuisance and headache because of wanting a new wireless printer/scanner!  Undecided
The one we were looking at says it is compaitible with Windows XP Pro so went ahead and bought it!  Now when trying to install it, it won't install either using the 'plug & Play' option, from the CD included, and even from downloading the driver manually - believing it to be a 32bit system, all attempts say the same, that no driver found etc!  The printer is USB and wireless, and neither will install!
The manufacturer has confirmed that there are no drivers for a XP x64bit Pro, and so is not compatible if it is 64bit!!  I also have a laptop running win 7 64bit and that has installed without issue!
I have another older printer, and when I installed it, did so using the 64bit driver, and that works fine,  I also have an old canon scanner, that will definitely only install on 32bit systems, and I have never been able to install it on the win xp pro laptop - beleiving the issue being it was a 64bit system!
I'm so, so confused having spent hours over last couple of days trying to get round this  The laptop says its 32bit but acts like 64bit, won't install using 32bit drivers, but will when 64bit drivers are installed!! Huh Huh
My sister has bought the new printer from me as and am on the hunt again,  I think I need to look for one that will work on Xp Pro 64bit, although the laptop is actually telling me it's 32bit, or could there be something else causing these issues? Any advice would be much appreciated as always
I
7 REPLIES 7
Vip3r
Grafter

Re: Win XP Pro = x32bit or x64bit - installation drivers confusion

From the screen shots its 32bit.
I suggestion you start by installing Windows Service Pack 3 and apply all windows updates.
Then if you still have problems, time to look at other software that's installed to see if it causing problems (security software or 3rd party driver management), Could be damaged windows files or corrupt Registry OR the possibility its a virus of some sort.
Note: At the moment this is pure guess work on my part! - I do not remember seeing this problem before.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It's 32 bit. As far as I know all 64 bit versions of Windows are labelled as such (it's a separate release of Windows XP, called Windows XP x64 if I remember correctly) so if yours was this version it would show in your second attached image.
Hope that helps,
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The 64 bit version of Windows XP is incredibly rare.  I fix computers for a living and I have never seen a home computer running it.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheers Guys,  I did think given all I had read on the internet that what i was seeing in the screens attached that it is 32bit! but thanks for confirming this!
In reference to this being a home computer, it's not as simple as that!
It is actually my fathers laptop that is supplied by his employer - it's a bit wierd, I don't know what to call it, could be ‘on a network’ but I will explain and maybe this may give a reason we are having problems!
When he is at home (out of the office), he has to logon to one 'login' and then if he wants his email he cannot use the installed email program (outlook), he has to login to a web based email (microsoft web app) it's how all company employess not based in the office do it! If he wants to install something on his laptop, we are restricted when using this login, can't install any devices or anything else that requires administrator privileges! We can't 'fiddle' with most settings and the security software installed, we can't do anything about and then we have to logon the laptop in a different way!
If he is in his office he can then use the outlook installed on his laptop and from what he says, he can login either way!
If we want to install printers etc, sort out a problem, we then login to the 'laptop login' using the administrator name and password they gave me, and can do anything! It's how we have installed printers, external hard drives etc in the past, and resolved issues!
We had a problem in the past when trying to install an old printer, when we did not have access to administrator privileges! His office is based 450 miles away and the printer had to be connected at the time of installation, the company gave me admin password and told me any peripherals could be installed as long as they were installed on the laptop! I must admit as it is a company laptop I get a little nervous I will do something wrong, I am presuming what we do when logged to the laptop will only effect the laptop and not the ?network?, with the service pack, if I install the SP3 and say the ‘network’ doesn’t have it installed will we have a problem, or will it only effect his computer?
I spoke to the company this morning, they have told me there is nothing on the laptop that would cause problem installing our old scanner and new printer and they said just use a 64bit driver if that is what worked in the past!! - ummm helpful, they want him to have a printer and scanner but given the distance and that Dad flies there, to get the laptop and printer&scanner to the office is a nightmare!  It took me about 3 weeks the last time he needed a printer installing to get them to realise that although they were installing the printer software in the office  on his laptop, that the only way to install the actual printer was to have them connected to each other!!  They kept telling me it had been installed, when it wasn’t! Eventually they realised we needed to be able to install devices at home so gave him admin rights, and I installed it!  So unfortunately they aren’t that helpful!!
I am running a laptop with Win 7 64bit and had no problem installing the new printer !  As it was wireless I was even able to setup HP's eprint but when I tried using that as a way round the problem on Dads, it didn't work - something to do with his web app he uses, if it had we could have just sent emails to the printer itself and not need to install it!
Is there any way i can set the printer up on mine and then 'share' it to Dads, so avoids actually installing the printer on his, or because he seems to be already on a network will it not be possible!
I am sorry if i seem a bit ignorant of the laptop tech bits, but this networking (if that's what its called) is a new one to me. I just get my head around things and start to think I am learning computer ‘stuff’ and then, wham, something comes along and makes me feel totally useless! So i really do appreciate your generosity in trying to help me! Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy
Vip3r
Grafter

It being a works PC complicates things slightly.
You will definitely need to be logged in as an administrator in order to install drivers and or SP3, installing SP3 will only change things on the laptop, but it might be worth checking with the company that they do not have a good reason for not installing it, they might have some old out of date software that is not compatible. (SP3 has been the minimum requirements in the last 2 companies I have worked for, for a good 3 years now.) Most new software will state that XP SP3 is the minimum requirement, check with the Printer driver see if it has any details for a minimum requirement.
As for setting it up on your PC and sharing it, while this is possible, you will still need the drivers on his PC so that it knows how to talk to the printer. Depending on the make and model you might be able to use a generic driver, but then you would miss out on most of the features of the printer.
bubbalicious
Grafter

thanks for the pointers,
I did try a ?generic?  driver, iI found one on the HP website , that just provided basic functionality of the printer, and oddly when i installed it, the scanner part of the printer worked, but not the printer!! Huh
Looking in the readme of the printer the attached requirements state SP2 and above,  and on the HP web is no mention of any addtional prerequisites other than what the readme says!
Just to try something else, I did also just bring down my old CanoScan that I know from canon won't work on my win7 64bit or any other 64 bit, just to try something else, again Dads laptop will not install this either, using the supplied software or the downloaded for SP2 Xp Pro!  Yet my canon printer installed without issue - shame it doesn't scan as well as print!  One other thing I did find trying to install with the scanner, it found drivers that weren't certified and kept asking me if I wanted to install them and I said yes, but it didn't resolve anything
His company tech guy is  not back in the office till monday, and i know there are certain things that his laptop needs to not have changed, they are still using Internet Explorer 6 and it can't be updated.
oh it's all giving me a headache,...... and it's not even my laptop Undecided 
Again I really appreciate your help with this,  Cheesy Cheesy
bubbalicious
Grafter

Hi Peeps,
just to update the helpful guys that I have made some progress with installing and have managed to install my 9yr old Canoscan scanner - hooray!!! Grin Grin
I went back through the installation 'the old way' and found that providing the installation only uses the 'old driver' that came with the scanner CD it installed and works, as soon as I tried to let it search for a driver,or let it try and use a 'newer one'  the scanner failed!
The HP wireless printer/scanner is still a mystery and the Tech Guy in dads office has no idea what the problem could be, other than what tried already he had no other suggestions.  He did let me install the SP3 and do the other updates that were suggested but it hasn't made much difference to the HP.
He has made the decision that is just isn't compatible???  saying that, he said the same thing about my old scanner when I had problems installing it last year, but when I was able to tell him it is working now - he didn't say much other than 'you must have just been lucky!!'.  He seems to give up really quickly if things aren't straight forward!
So as long as Dad has a printer (mine) and a scanner (mine again) he says he's happy and has decided he won't bother looking for a new one -  given the amount of stuff he prints I can see my printer and scanner making their way in to his office (major point to why he was buying his own was to stop using my rather nice and more expensive Canon photo printer for his reams of printing) and never coming out again!!  I have this feeling it will be me looking for a new printer and scanner - but hey as long as Dads got what he wants -........?
Anyway peeps,  really appreciated your advice.  Cheesy Cheesy as always you have left me with bit more knowledge and understanding which is always a bonus, as well as the knowledge that there are some very generous people out there that are always happy to help us non so 'technical minded'
Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin