Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win Vista keeps rebooting

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Win Vista keeps rebooting

Quote from: penneck
I do have one concern (apart from "is Sirefef hiding for a while?")

I imagine the final step in your repair was to recreate the boot sector and so get rid of a boot sector component of Sirefef.  So no reason to suppose it is hiding.  BUT (based on my recent experioence) you need to check that Windows Update works correctly and that Security Center runs.
and that is Windows Defender on the laptop (not the bootable one in the memory stick) is stopped. It says so when I try to use it. How do you start it?

Some time ago Microsoft bought-up a company making an anti-spyware program which then re-named 'Windows Defender'.  Some years later they bought-up/brought-out a much more comprehensive security package which they gave the rather feeble name of 'Microsoft Security Essentials'.  If MSE or any other modern security software is running then Windows Defender becomes superfluous and might just slow down the computer so most such programs turn off Windows Defender.  With me so far?
In Windows 8, Microsoft Security Essentials is re-branded as 'Windows Defender'.  But as far as I can tell it's just the name that has been recycled, it's really still MSE.  And 'Windows Defender Offline' is really Microsoft Security Essentials Offline.
Anyway, Windows Defender is stopped for a reason; you should not try to start it.
Well, my thanks to all who made suggestions, particularly RR

I know from my own experience that problems like this are soluble, given sufficient persistence. 
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: ReedRichards
So no reason to suppose it is hiding.  BUT (based on my recent experioence) you need to check that Windows Update works correctly and that Security Center runs.

You got me a little worried with that statement as I have been told that Windows Update isn't working on my ex's PC.
It was set to automatically update but I suggested to my daughter today that she change it to check but wait for her to download so what is to updated can be verified first. It seems at this point the Update button does nothing. Needs further investigation...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Mav
It seems at this point the Update button does nothing. Needs further investigation...

Indeed.  What version of Windows is this computer running?  The computer that I saw had had the Registry entries that load five or six essential Windows services removed.  The result was a computer that superficially seemed fine but would not update, had reduced security and probably other problems too.

Mav
Fixes: 515

It's Vista.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I just found a utility called the Farbar Security Scanner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/ .  This runs a little check of your internet various Windows services and produces a report file.  I don't yet know how useful this is because I have not yet had a chance to run it on a post-infected computer but it might be worth a try.