Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 8 "preview"

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Win 8 "preview"

a friend of mine in Holland says ,,,  its ok for a iphone  Cheesy  Useless for a desktop  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Pretty much what I said above.  Cool
dfunked
Grafter

It's growing on me slowly but surely, but annoyingly the main selling point of it just isn't working for me (Hyper-V's virtual switch doesn't want to play nicely with my NIC, so I've got a bunch of virtual machines which can't connect to my network)
They'll need to stick the classic start menu back in there, as I really can't see corporations going for it otherwise!!
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: dfunked
the main selling point of it
What's that?
I just find the whole "dual interface" of desktop and Metro is very clunky and adds needless complexity; it's a step back from 7, especially if you have the number of Apps etc. that I do.
It needs to give users a 3-way choice of "traditional" (for desktops) or "Metro" (for phones/pads) and a "mixed" choice similar to the preview.
But the mixed one is still in need of a lot of cleaning up.  Sad
Under the hood there are (as you would expect) a lot of improvements.
dfunked
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: dfunked
the main selling point of it
What's that?

Hyper-V itself... I use it on Server 2008 R2 in work all the time and absolutely love it, so the thought of having it on a home operating system pretty much made Windows 8 an insta-buy for me!
Like you say, the jarring switch between classic desktop and Metro really can be offputting, and has made me consider going back to Windows 7 as my main OS instead of suffering through it for a year.
I think my girlfriend summed up how user friendly it all is when she had to ask me how to shut the computer down the first time she used it...
HPsauce
Pro

Press the physical power button on the box?  Crazy
(apart from that it's a pretty idiotic process)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't suppose Windows 8 looks similar to this, by any chance?  Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro

Not really.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Which of these do you prefer (it took 25 years to go from Windows version 1 to Windows version 8 ).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could even play with this http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ to bring back the start menu
HPsauce
Pro

Yes, tried Start8 the other day but not that keen on it.  Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Am I right in thinking that the Windows 8 available now is the "alpha" version, to be followed by a "beta-test" or "release candidate" version and then the final commercial release? 
HPsauce
Pro

Difficult to say, I think it's more like what was traditionally a "beta" though maybe not the last such.
I can see another before the RC arrives.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

The most controversial aspect of Microsoft's new OS is the Metro interface. Fewer than half of the 2900 readers who answered our survey about the Consumer Preview said they were satisfied with the new interface.
Some respondents praised the interface as fun and innovative.
"It takes some getting used to, but once you've learned it, it is easier to use, faster, more intuitive, and easy to customize," one respondent said. "It's shaping up to be not only the most radically different Windows ever, but also the best. We aren't in Kansas anymore, Toto."
"I am blown away. The PC just became fun to use again," another fan said.
But Metro's critics were sometimes scathing.
"I hate the new user interface and the lack of a Start button," one said. "The OS feels like it was designed for the tablet, with the desktop PC as a complete afterthought. Windows 8 will be the new Windows Vista."
"Windows 8 straddles the fence between being a touchscreen OS and a desktop OS, and anyone who's straddled a fence before knows it's rather uncomfortable," another detractor said.

read more here
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
dfunked
Grafter

I've definitely found myself in the "It takes some getting used to, but once you've learned it, it is easier to use, faster, more intuitive, and easy to customize," camp after a couple of weeks...
If I was a betting man, I'd still put money on MS taking the negative feedback on board and including a classic start menu in the final product