Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Win 7

Whatever the advantages of Win 7 over other O/s there's certainly no shortage of regular updates for it. Thats not a complaint, just an observation.
Much as I like Win 7 (I previously liked Xp and Vista as well, but my favorite was 2000) it does have one minor annoyance; it doesn't always remember my PN login. I'm not sure whether this is actually Win 7 or Firefox. But prior to the Win 7 upgrade when I opened PN Community my username and password were always already inserted ready for use. Now around 50% of the time the boxes are blank.
I entirely agree it is simplicity itself to get over this by pressing Login anyway, this brings up a terse message that I need to add the details, but with the details inserted ready for use. So login becomes a two step click rather than one. But it is slightly annoying anyway. Think of all that extra wear on my mouse button!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES 13
artificer
Grafter

Re: Win 7

is there something in win7 that clears your browsing history when you shut down?  you might also check firefox for that feature too.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

must be a setting or clearing cookies, as I am on Win7 and Firefox, and mine are OK,  Firefox stores in a file not cookies, do you let fire fox do that? it comes up at the top asking you
petlew
Pro

Thanks guy's, but yes to all those, if it happened one way or the other all the time I could understand it and deal with it. But this is almost random, but the average seems to be around half and half, I've never checked actual figures, but I'm not imagining it.
When I was on Vista, something slightly similar would occasionally occur; that I could at the first start of a day have the boxes blank, but within a 5 to 10 seconds wait they would fill-in as normal on their own. Initially, thats what I thought was happening now, but it doesn't matter how long I wait with Win 7.
I have wondered if there might be an available RAM issue here, whilst I have 2Gb which is not excessive, its hardly the bare minimum either.
Ooop's! sorry artificer, no I don't have the "clear history" (or indeed clear cookies) selected.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

In reply to your ram theory you can go to 'start' control panel 'administrative tools' then double click on file' windows memory diagnostic tool' hope that helps.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
petlew
Pro

Thank you Steve, the test didn't report any problems. The performance monitor (in the same window) reported memory usage at 25%. So doesn't seem as if RAM is the culprit. As it happens the "fault" just occurred again after the restart that follows the test.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Im not sure how accurate the in-built test is, could it maybe be your ram has come out of place?
petlew
Pro

Nice try, but My computer properties reports 2Gb RAM, which I assume it wouldn't if a RAM stick had slipped.
It is also very curious that both my computers (both fairly recent upgrades to Win 7 from Vista Home Premium with seperate upgrade discs) display the same problem.
So thinks! what is the common denominator? only that they both share the same router (one cabled -the desktop- the other -laptop- wireless) but can't really see why that should make a difference, they are only rarely both on at the same time usually only if printing (very rare) via the home network from the laptop.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I cant see it being to do with the routers, Theres this..
Advanced options for running the Memory Diagnostics Tool
We recommend that you let the Memory Diagnostics Tool run automatically. However, advanced users might want to adjust the tool's settings. Here's how:
1.When the Memory Diagnostics Tool starts, press F1.
2.You can adjust the following settings:
•Test mix. Choose what type of test you want to run: Basic, Standard, or Extended. The choices are described in the tool.
•Cache. Choose the cache setting you want for each test: Default, On, or Off.
•Pass count. Type the number of times you want to repeat the test.
3.Press F10 to start the test.
petlew
Pro

Thanks again Steve for trying, but nothing showed up in further tests.
I'll just put up with it I think, as I said in the OP its really only a minor annoyance...so just a small grrr!!

severedsolo
Grafter

on the update thing... Tuesday was Microsofts "Big Patch Tuesday" (they alternate monthly between big and little ones) they released 25 updates across the board, only 6 were for 7, more than half of them were for XP
Moominfish
Grafter

I'd almost certainly say it must be to do with cookies and the lack of them being stored on your computer, something is/must be deleting them at some point, and it definitely has nothing to with your physical 2GB of Ram because like you've quite rightly said it's reporting the full 2GB of ram which it wouldn't do if 1 of them had slipped out or come loose.
It also won't have anything to with your router, no offence to people suggesting these things but it's absurd to even suggest such a thing lol, if I were you SteveM I'd reinstall Windows and see if you still have the problem, but I'd bet a pound to a penny you won't.
Also the only other thing that could be stopping IE or FireFox remembering your password is your firewall settings or some other program causing a problem.
Could be worth checking that out.
Andrew_B
Grafter

Hey Petlew, which browser are you using?
Do you run any 'maintenance' programs such as CCleaner?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Moominfish it's not me that has a problem here it's Petlew!! Crazy