Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 will not install--SOLVED

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Win 7 will not install--SOLVED

I have rebuilt my desktop system, for my father, to replace his aging XP system.
Not changed any componants, but stripped it down to clean it up etc.
On booting from the Win7 disk, I burnt with Sp1 integrated, it loads files etc, gets to the first starting windows screen. It then gets to the blue screen where you choose the language, but the language selection boxes do not appear, but the blue background does (its not a BSOD).  This happens every time I boot from the CD. I get an arrow and a circle spinning, and when the language selection screen is meant to appear it dosnt, and it just hangs there.
I have tried the CD in my laptop and it works OK, and gets to the language point OK.
Tried reseating connections etc, still nothing. This system was in my loft room unused for a while, which was very cold. not sure if that would have an impact. The BIOS detected everything OK, with no apparant issues. Its an IDE DVDRW, and a SATA HDD.
Anyone offer any advice as to where to go next????
11 REPLIES 11
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Win 7 will not install.

Do you have access to the original Win 7 disk (without SP1) ? I assume you've slipstreamed SP1 onto your own disk image.
It may be worth while seeing if the Win 7 disk works ok, then it would point to an issue in the slipstreaming. Weird though it works on a different machine.
NedLudd
Grafter

I would try a CD cleaning disk and also polish up the DVD. It is also possible that the drive may have some condensation present (but unlikely given the time of year).
Geoff,
York.
nanotm
Pro

If you made a slipstream disk I expect you didn't put the full original os bloat onto it so chances are a driver file is missing and your going to have to resort to the original disk then apply the updates, I say this having had that very problem in the past....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks.  I should have mentioned that I tried an original win7 disk that I have from a boxed copy of 7 retail. The disk I burned was an iso download from microsoft. Tried 2 dvd drives still the same but only 1 came from the loft room.
nanotm
Pro

try copying the slipstream disc to a usb drive if you have one and use that for the install with the dvd drive disconnected from the mobo.
the problem might be down to driver problems during the install process, I recall having serious issues with one mobo in the past which needed you to install separate drivers from the mobo cd if you had more than one type of drive attached.....
not such a problem for newer kit because I haven't had an ide drive in the last 8 years /
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well its worth a try anyhow. Hopefully the system will boot from a usb drive Crazy
nanotm
Pro

just remember to change the boot order in bios to usb first, depending on the mobo you might also require the lan boot option to be enabled as well, something the biostar junk always required but exclusively failed to mention In the mobo manual /
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Mobo will not boot from a usb drive. Tried everything. ... 3 hdds one of them ide to rule out a sata issue.  Another dvd drive. Still the same and I am not sure what is happening. Mobo bios detected everything fine and nothing obvious is amiss. Mobo is an asua a8v-e se and drives are standard sata. Memory also detected fine.
nanotm
Pro

The possible problems could be many, have you tried putting the hdd into your current pc (disconnect the hddd your currently using) then install windows on it, when it gets to the options page choose advanced and then oob- out of  box- option as soon as its finished switch off and swap the drive across to the old machine and then finish the install
You might need to use the original install disk to do it rather than the slipstream one, but unless the problem is mobo/ cpu problem it should work.

Also pull the cpu & heat sink out of the old system, clean up and reseat, with fresh thermal paste, the stall could be caused by overheating issues but running the bios monitor page for an hour would allow you to monitor any heat based problems in theory.
So many options and without hands on and a bunch of test parts so difficult to guess at the problem
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Re: Win 7 will not install--SOLVED

OK, so I feel remarkably stupid......  I have build alot of PCs in my time, so this issue really had me stumped.
I completely stripped the PC down again, and removed the Motherboard, just to make sure nothing had got underneath it.(remote I know!!).  Pieced it all back together again slowly and methodically, making sure everything was seated OK, even removed a stick of RAM, and all add in cards.  Tried again and still the same, but this time, I had to go and do something else, and just left it. When I came back, it was asking for a language, and then SLOWLY proceeded to install to the expanding files, where it just hung.  This confirmed to me, that the install media was OK, but something hardware was amiss. Tried googling setup hanging at this point and found a post on the microsoft forums, that mentioned disabling floppy drives.  <Lightbulb moment>, Realised I had reset the BIOS when I stripped it all down 1st time, as it needed a new MOBO battery.  Looking at the BIOS again, legacy floppy drive was enabled, even though no floppy installed.  Disabled this and Win 7 installed within 15mins Cheesy Cheesy
Just thought others may find this useful, some people also had to disable legacy USB control as well.
Thanks to all for the advice, its much appreciated.
nanotm
Pro

Re: Win 7 will not install--SOLVED

Happens to us all