Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 - what would you miss

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Win 7 - what would you miss

After reading various reviews of Win 7 and looking at the pre-order deal I'm trying to decide if its worth upgrading from XP. I'm still not sure what v7 has to offer from a practical point of view that can't be done in XP.
A question for the V7 r-c testers/users: if you had to go back to Win XP what fetures of Win 7 would you miss the most.
Paul
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Win 7 - what would you miss

How about the ability to not crash the whole system if a program crashes
Other than that the thing you have to accept is a completely new menu system which you will either love or hate
mal0z
Grafter

is that like the menu system in office 2007 - I still find that strange and difficult to find the things I have used for years
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Support for the latest hardware is the main reason to use W7 vs XP in my mind. And a decent 64-bit system (if you need it).
I don't see value in upgrading any of my XP systems, but I have a newish box ready for it - currently running the RCx64.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

What prices will MS be charging?  I'll have a look at the prices in the US when I go back in September.  Generally it's cheaper to buy there.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks Jim.  I'll miss out on MS special offer but by September I guess the likes of Best Buy will be doing some sort of discount. 
mal0z
Grafter

But is Win 7 so bloated that it won't run on older hardware - like this faithful Sony Vaio that is about 5 years old.
I would never dream of putting Vista on it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thing is - the special offer in the UK may be better than the US standard prices. Also Europe are getting a full license for the same price as a an upgrade because they can't manage an upgrade which doesn't have IE8 built in in the time-scale
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Good point.  I bow to your superior knowledge on this Jim Smiley
Not applicable

There is, of course, no real answer - you just have to think it through and go with the hunch.
I often think that I could do all that I want on a computer if I still had Windows 98. However, being a first computer, eventually it wore out (a bit quicker than it should have probably due to my ineptitude) and went to XP, which was good, especially as by then I had learned how to look after my computer a bit better.
Had Vista early on because I fancied a change and wanted a laptop. It's been no trouble at all but shan't be upgrading to Windows 7 as it really would be a waste of money, particularly as I am happily engaged with learning how to use the Linux OSs properly.
I suppose a (pragmatic) starting point for making a decision might be what would you want to do on it that you can't do now on XP?  If there is nothing in it then it still might be nice to get it just for the fun, learning and experience because that's what life is about really.
mal0z
Grafter

Wise words Poppy.
I certainly have never been an early upgrader - normally waiting at least for SP1 or even SP2 - but eventually one has to make a move or support dies.

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
because they can't manage an upgrade which doesn't have IE8 built in in the time-scale

If it doesn't have a browser built in how do you download a browser (or anything else) on a new install - do you have to make sure you have a installation program on a cd/dvd
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Good question - they haven't though that one through
It was  knee jek reaction to get the EC off their back
Not applicable

Well, that's a strange one - no browser - weird.
Forgive me for a being a Linux bore (alas, I am rapidly becoming one), but in my very brief time of using the OS there doesn't seem to be much in Windows that I can't do in Ubuntu. Admittedly, though, I am a pretty basic computer user - might be different for other more demanding folk. It's one of the reasons why I shan't be dashing off to purchase Windows7 - no need really.