cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 weekly update is stuck

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Win 7 weekly update is stuck

My wife's laptop has been stuck on Update 6 of 6 since 11 p.m. last night, and it is now past 8 a.m. Any suggestions, please? Cntrl-Alt-Del has had no effect so we cannot get to Task Manager. I haven't tried just pressing and holding the Power button because it says "Do not power off". If I did power off, would that give me major problems when I tried to restart?

My thanks for any help

9 REPLIES 9
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Win 7 weekly update is stuck

I think you may have to bite the bullet; I have that occasionally on Win10 computers.
Powering down & back up eventually sorts; obviously unusable as is.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have "powered down" many times over the years, when the updates have stuck... and no great problems arose afterwards...you will probably get the "windows did not shut down properly... .... start windows normally" choice... so just do it..

sometimes... a later update in the pile up.. needs an earlier one to do a re-boot before it can be installed... so a re-boot usually solves it and you get all the updates that have activated, leaving those that have not yet been downloaded and installed, for the next session of downloading..

good luck..

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Gel. I've bitten the bullet, and it has done the trick. Now I need my wife to come home to finish the bootup because I don't have her password

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Shutter. As you suggested, the power off and on got it moving including the "windows did not shut down properly" bit. I chose "start normally", and off it went, up to the point where it asked for a password - and that is where I need my wife to come home from work. So it seems to be working correctly (so far)

Cheers

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I think there has been some problem with the May Updates for Windows 7 this week - when I ran Windows Update on Wednesday I persistently got a "8024402F error" message. Although the Microsoft Help links were worse than useless, I eventually discovered that this denotes a connectivity error with MS's servers. Eventually solved it by manually downloading and installing the appropriate May Update installer packages itemised here; then running Windows Update again, which worked this time and found a couple more updates to install. Even downloading these was interrupted once, however, which again suggests an MS server loading issue. I put it down to the load imposed by the huge Windows 10 'Creator's Update' download currently being made available!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you should upgrade to Windows 10, then again this is what Microsoft want all along of course, not that I'm cynical in any way you understand.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe you should upgrade to Windows 10,

Windows 10 is not an 'upgrade' in my view!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Win 10 is vast improvement over 8 and 8.1 👍
And when MS stops updates you will have problems like NHS soon
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

@rongtw wrote:
Win 10 is vast improvement over 8 and 8.1 👍

Yes, but I'm running Windows 7 which will be supported until 2020. And it's not hard for anything to be better than Windows 8/8.1.