cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 on an XP workgroup - any experience?

Simon_M
Grafter

Win 7 on an XP workgroup - any experience?

Has anyone any experience of adding a Win 7 machine to an existing XP workgroup?
I've just been asked the following:-
"We have a small workgroup of XP Pro computers. One of the desktop PCs acts as 'server' for certain applications - all the data is accessed from the hard disk on that PC. The other computers have drive mapping set to see a folder on that PC as a drive letter (M:).
We plan to change a laptop currently running XP Pro for one running Win 7 Business."
I know that all the applications in question are fine with Win 7 when running in a fully Win 7 environment, so this is really a Workgroup networking question. Can Win 7 play happily with XP Pro in a Workgroup situation? Anyone tried it yet?
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Win 7 on an XP workgroup - any experience?

worked automatically with no problem at all but I don't know about drive mapping
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just added a network drive to a virtual machine running Win2K from another Win7 machine and it worked like a charm. This was configured with advanced permissions so allows write access based on username/password and there's no issues there either.
So it should work fine.
Simon_M
Grafter

Cheers guys. I know it *should* work, but it's always nice to have confirmation. Not sure how much store to put on the fact that W2k worked though - several networking things worked in W2k that seemed to suddenly stop working in XP.
My impression was that Microsoft expected all XP Pro machines to be connected to Domains & that XP Home would be used on Workgroups. So they rather forgot about Workgroups on Pro & there were all sorts of permissions oddities.
Be glad of any further observations if anyone else has tried it - even if it's just 'it worked'. It would be useful to know the respective versions of XP & Win 7 involved in any particular setup as well.
Thanks for your help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

XP home (I think that was what it was called) and Win7 Premium and Win7 ultimate RC
Simon_M
Grafter

Ah, thanks Jim. That's not so encouraging then. I don't know if it's valid to carry through XP experience to Win 7, but while Workgroups & XP Home seems to work fine, XP Pro never seemed all that happy with them. Mostly it works, but it always seems to be looking over it's shoulder for a domain controller or something.
Unfortunately, networking at that level is not my area of expertise.  Embarrassed
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Windows 7 has a new sharing concept called HomeGroup which applies to W7 only networks.
I've happily added W7 to my existing XP sharing workgroup network (non-domain) and (with a few printer driver issues) it all works like XP.
BUT I wouldn't want to set up a W7 system as the "core" of an XP style workgroup network.
Simon_M
Grafter

Sounds encouraging - that's the same sort of configuration we are talking about here.
Which versions of XP & Win 7 are in use - Home or Pro/Business?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There was one thing I needed to do to guarantee the Win7 machine seeing the XP machine was to install LLTD on all the XP machines
http://www.tim.id.au/blog/2009/02/01/mapping-your-network-with-windows-7/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
johpal
Grafter

My wife's new laptop (64-bit Win7) integrated almost perfectly (and automatically) to my XP Home workgroup. The stumbling block was the printer: the network is set up on 32-bit XP home PC's. Got round this by "printing to file" on the Win7 machine and writing a little DOS batch file to copy the binary file (copy filename printername /b) to the printer instead.