Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 & USB recogniton in Virtual Box

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Win 7 & USB recogniton in Virtual Box

@shutter, does your W7 guest system show any USB controllers in Device Manager ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@MisterW  Again.... more pics !

P1090127 device manager w7.jpg

P1090126 desktop no usb devices attached.jpg

NOTE  "No USB devices attached"......    yet the mouse works ! ! ! ...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@shutter  but it does think there is a USB controller.

There used to be 2 versions of VirtualBox an OSE (Open Systems) and a PUEL(personal use and evaluation licence) (only from the VB download site) . In the past USB support was restricted to the PUEL version. I thought that now there was only one version but it could be that the version in the repos is still the OSE version.

Seems like you might still have to install the extension pack from the Virtualbox site for USB support to work

https://askubuntu.com/questions/25596/how-to-set-up-usb-for-virtualbox

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW   according to the first pic on reply number 15... it is already installed..

as shown by the original install procedure ...  by the pic on reply number 10

EDIT EDIT EDIT...

However.. moving on to another linky from yours.... I did a terminal query...

VBoxManage list usbhost

it returned...

Host USB Devices:

<none>

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@shutter  yes I appreciate that but there appears to be 2 versions of the extension pack, one OSE available from the repos(the one you have installed) and another from the official VirtualBox site which apparently supports USB which the other one doesn't.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW  so... as the present "install" of the VB and all its bits and pieces does not appear to be working.... I shall have to uninstall it all... and then download it from the VB site. . and hope that somewhere along the way... I remember what I have to do, and get all the bits and pieces together again...

Why ?   It has taken all day, bar a couple of hours, to do absolutely naff all, except beat my head against a brick wall.... why?  because it is LINUX...

Surely, by this stage... these "little things" like having a USB that works properly O.O.B. should be written in to the operating system,,,... and yay... that goes for the VB software too...

Beginning to look as though Windows 10 , will be a doddle to fix ! ! ..

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You need to install the extension pack into the guest Windows, using the same version as the installed VB.

Use the version of VB in the current Mint repositories - even though its probably not the latest VB.

USB support has been around for the last few major versions of Virtual Box and Version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5.7.1) appears to be the latest version that is supplied as a Stable version that works without problems.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW   OK>   have uninstalled that rubbish stuff... and downloaded a copy of Oracle Virtual Box v.6.09 r120420(Qt5.9.5)

followed the instructions, and downloaded the relevant Extension pack .

Checked all the instructions for getting the USB to work... and got to exactly the same spot as before...

Step 3: Enable USB Controller and Add New USB filter

Click settings for your virtual machine.

Access USB devices in virtualbox

Select USB on the left pane. Then choose USB 2.0 controller or USB 3.0 controller. Note that you can only enable one type of controller. Next, insert your USB device to your host machine and click the add button to add new USB filter.

virtualbox add new usb filter

it says... under that pic above.....

Choose your USB device and Click OK.

However.... there are no device present, so it`s NOT    ok...    OK  ?

If you go back to this point in the previous postings... this is where it all goes wrong.. as already outlined...   (not much point in me re-posting the same stuff over again, i think) ..

Yes... I have checked that vboxusers is in the user group..

(as shown in the pic previously )...

Interestingly.... Although I uninstalled the stuff using "Software manager" ( as in the pic previously).... I did not have to re-install Windows 7 Pro, on the installation of V 6  of VBox ....

So... what next  ?

VileReynard
Hero

Where did you get the V6 install from?

Mixing install sources may not cause problems, but can (potentially) set you up for future problems...

VileReynard
Hero

It should look something like this:-

Screenshot from 2019-07-09 18-03-21.png

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   As I already said.... I have UNINSTALLED the previous rubbish,.... and DOWNLOADED from the ORACLE VB SITE version 6 and the associated extension pack from the same site.

Doh ! ..Roll_eyes

When I go to the settings and USB  it shows nothing in the window pane below the usb 1 usb2 usb3 section.

(scroll back in this thread.. and see the previous pics ) .

Just to show what I am trying to get working on the usb is listed in highligted lines on this  "lsusb" return on the terminal...

Device 037  & Device 040 ...

neither of which show up on the "settings . usb " 

P1090128 lsusb list of usb ports.jpg

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW   @VileReynard   @RobPN   @PeeGee   @dvorak 

Hello again, guys!... Have managed to get the USB bit sorted.. BUT... another problem, has shown up...

After doing the "settings" for the USB..

P1090129 settings 001.jpg

I started the VB.... and waited.... and waited.... but it had Frozen....

P1090133 windows frozen.jpg

Not even getting as far as the "log in" screen......  Nothing worked... whatever I moused over, or tried to do to close it, or clear it... Nothing happened..   the only way I could "get rid"  was to do a hard close down on the main power button.. and then re start the laptop.

I tried again, several times... but to no avail...

So.. I "removed" Win7 pro    and the re-installed it... and again, having got as far as getting the USB part done... the same thing happens again.

It`s 23:00 now... so off to bed... but tomorrow, it looks like I shall have to remove Virtual Box, completely, and start all over again...

Brill !  huh ? CryCryCry

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW   @VileReynard   @RobPN   @PeeGee   @dvorak 

Good Morrow, Dear Friends ! ! !

YAY !...  I was up at 06:30 this morning.... and have discovered that one of the 4Port USB extenders was the problem of the FREEZE UP...

Strange as it has been very useful in both Win7 and Mint operations up until now...  It is a USB3.0 and was plugged into a USB3.0 usb slot on the laptop.. ( I have both usb2 and usb3 slots )... Even if I chose the USB3 on the Settings Selection for USB, it still FROZE up the Virtual Box.

I have replaced it with a very old 4 port box... I think it may even be a USB1, as it has a "square" plug on one end of the USB lead, ( same kind of thing they used on printers ).  but anyway, it works... and also I can plug in my USB memory stick and access the files on there... just installing the Canon Printer... from the canon DVD.. so that should make everything work as much as I am likely to need, in the future, when I can`t use LINUX MINT for the jobs.

Thanks for all your inputs... Sorry if I get a bit tetchy but I`m not Linux techy ... yet.. but am improving .... slowly, I think ! ..

Much appreciate your help guys..SmileyWink

Thanks.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

you may find that after startup you can plug your other usb hub in and works fine, just needs to be disconnected during boot.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@shutter Thanks for letting us know it's working (sort of)