cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 Shut-down.

colintivy
Rising Star

Win 7 Shut-down.

Had a few experiences with Win7 in HP Pavillion dv6 laptop going through its normal shut-down ritual and getting to the blank black screen but no further, ie the little light in the on button does not  go out and the fan continues to run (if it was before starting the sequence). I wondered if it was due to the heat level and would switch off in due course but no, it seems to carry on regardless. Because my battery is well up to charge, I do not want to leave it in this situation so have to bite the bullet and unplug the external power supply and then the battery pack to shut it all off. Restarting later does not reveal any problem arising from this drastic action but has anyone out there found this? Sadly HP do not provide a reset button allowing a reboot any more which would have been the better option.
Roll_eyes
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Win 7 Shut-down.

Does it not power off if you hold in the power button for around 5 seconds?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
colintivy
Rising Star

Not as far as I know but might have not pressed it for the required time. If/when it happens again I will know for sure.Thanks.
C.
colintivy
Rising Star

Sadly (?) it has not shutdown incorrectly since! I will keep looking and advise if the holding down the button for 5 secs does in fact sort it out. My very old Fortune Laptop did have the facility using the power button like this but I had forgotten about it. The handbook, which was very comprehensive, did not mention the feature at all and it had to be sought by telephone at the time.
C.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Having got bored by the silly shutdown process in W8 I created a shortcut button for it, and have now also put that on my W7 system.
Try this to see if it works, the shortcut is: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C shutdown /p /f
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks HP. I am curious about the method you used to create a shortcut button, I have not seen this function before. Did you invent the text for the shortcut? I have also noted elsewhere that this overall subject has had an airing in another post (but i cannot remember where)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Right-mouse-click on the desktop then choose New Shortcut from the menu.  Wink
Once you've created and tested the shortcut you can RMC as usual to pin it to the taskbar and/or start menu as required.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is it necessary to run cmd.exe just to run shutdown.exe? shutdown.exe exists on Vista, haven't checked other versions.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi HP!
I had a glitch with Win7 at last, not the previous one however. This time I booted up...all OK. Got the desktop up ready to get going and before doing anything the display folded up to a blank screen leaving only the power light showing at the keyboard. This time I made sure that I pressed the power key for several seconds and Bingo it switched the display back on with the usual text asking whether to boot normally or in safe mode. I chose the former and carried on working as though nothing had happened. I can not think why it did drop out as it did and nothing untoward has happened since. All very odd but instructive!
Roll_eyes  Grin