Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 Pro updates taking "forever"

FIXED
colintivy
Rising Star

Re: Win 7 Pro updates taking "forever"

I have noted all the above with some alarm. My Win 7 Pro usually installs updates on its own delaying the action of shutting down. It seems an age since it has done this. Where can I look to see the listed updates and what may be not installed? I have always assumed that this job was automatic but your experiences suggest that it has ceased to be.

Advice will be welcomed please.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

This thread is mainly about Win7 taking 'forever' to search for updates (in my case using 50% of available CPU whilst doing so), and then usually failing to find any.

Easiest way to check whether yours are up to date is to go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > View update history.

This will show the most recent updates - mine were the scheduled ones on 14/12/2016.

colintivy
Rising Star

@ JayG

Thanks for that. When I have five minutes I will have a look.

JayG
Pro

Just to update the update record Roll_eyes there were 2 further updates today which logic suggests you should also receive, one of which was the Jan 2017 roll up (don't ask - stopped trying to make sense  of MS updates years ago!)

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@JayG  proably got that today on this machine, as it is "active".... but will have to dig out the other machine ( the one that was the cause of this thread originally )  from hibernation in it`s box, under the stairs ! ! . Probably do that tomorrow...

colintivy
Rising Star

@JayG

I have got the Update history thanks. This shows a goodly number of automatic items from 24/07/2016 but a smattering of updates either "Cancelled" or just "Failed" These were KB2876229, KB890830, KB3140345, KB3139923 all Cancelled (not by me) and KB3160005, KB3133923 (twice), KB2952664 Failed The latest Successful arrival dated19/10/2016 is KB3170106.

Nearly all the updates were graded Important  with a few as Recommended. Is it possible to cherry-pick the ones that did not get installed? What do you think about the lack of anything since 19/10/2016?

Ultimately I intend to abandon Windows for Linux, probably Mint 18 Mate. Any ideas?

JayG
Pro

It's anyone's guess just how vulnerable your PC may (or may not) be given the missing updates - my advice would be to follow @Anonymous's and @ReedRichards advice on the first page of this thread to try to get them back on track.

No knowledge and hence no advice about Linux OS's. 

shutter
Community Veteran

After doing the "off line" install of KB3172605 .... as mentioned last week,   the update for yesterday has now been downloaded and installed automatically on boot up.. took about 30 mins.. after re-boot, I check my "Update History"... and note that the December 2016 Monthly Quality Rollup  kb31207752)  FAILED...

However, the January 2017 Monthly Quality Rollup  was success

@ReedRichards @Anonymous or anyone tell me if I need to now try to install that December Rollup, or does the next month ( in this case, January) Rollup, include the previous month, if not installed (due to prev failure)..

JayG
Pro

@shutter - If you mean KB3207752 mine shows as failed the first time, succeeded the second (both on 14/12/2016)

With mine set to check for updates but not download or install them until requested, I suppose I should remember re-requesting it, but I don't actually remember doing so (severe brain fatigue had set in by then I suspect!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter - I wouldn't have thought that this was needed as January's roll-up should include everything before it, as PCs are bought every day of the week this makes sense to me as it will cover those PC bought prior to the Jan roll up. I don't think you'll need to but...

... as this is MS we are dealing with can you not select this item, right click it and see if there is a retry option.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous Logically thinking..... ( does microsoft do that  ? ? ?)  the Jan one should cover the December one..

As for the "right click"  question... all that gives is  View Details   or Copy Details.  ... which seems a bit "lax".. as to not having an option to "retry"..

shutter
Community Veteran

@JayG yes, indeedy !   typo...

Three other updates on the same date/time were successful, but no second chance on that failed one...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter - Well giving MS some credit I really don’t think you’ll need to apply the Dec roll-up as the installer (updater) should be smart enough to know that it was (is) a pre-requisite so attempt to re-install it or at least bleat about it.

Others may know different of course.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

From past experience, it seems that MS add/replace the individual updates between "roll-up" issues and spend most of the update time trying to decide which elements have already been installed and don't need downloading again.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@shutter wrote:
...Logically thinking.....  the Jan one should cover the December one..

I'm certain it does.