Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 Pro updates taking "forever"

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Win 7 Pro updates taking "forever"

I know this has been covered in part, on other threads, however, I am wondering if the lack of .NET Framework editions, and Visual C ++  editions, may be causing the slow response to the "searching for updates"  (Its been running for almost 2 days now ... ! )

the machine is running Win 7 Pro, SP1... and has been updating ok, until after the June 2016 updates... since then it has only managed a few odd updates, the last ones being in November 2016.  Although I don`t think that included the November 2016 cumulative ( or whatever its called) update...

certainly the December 2016 one has not been installed,..

so.. the question remains would the lack of .NET Framework, and Visual C++ versions be causing this, and if so, which one`s should I download and install...  according to my check I have .NET Framwork 4.5.2   and C++ 2008 installed.

( Note.. I have been on the net and installed a couple of KB numbers that are supposed to have cured this tardiness, but they haven`t done anything. )..

34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Win 7 Pro updates taking "forever"

The .NET framework and Visual C++ editions you mention are normally called runtime editions. Some programs may require a specific version of the software but this would need to be installed in order for the program to work. Installing any others would just be a waste of your time and disk space.

shutter
Community Veteran

And so..... they don`t make any difference to the Update tardiness..       Cry.  ah well,...it`s still running.. nowt else to do but wait...    Crazy2

thanksWink

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter, there is a know issue with Win 7 updates stalling (read hanging) so you may want to install this manually but in order to that you need to have this installed first. With these installed you should see things progressing after install and a re-start.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

My Win7 has behaved itself on updates since installing the manual updates suggested by @Anonymous (there may have been others but I tried so many I can't be sure exactly which fix actually fixed it!)

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous thanks for the info..... am now running the Windows Update Stand Alone Installer  [searching for updates on this computer ]   for the second " this " of your post... time started... 14:25.... 

Let`s see how long it takes to do something.....

There`s only a couple of hundred updates on this computer... and only one has that number... so how come it takes so long to find it  ? ?  

and ... if it`s not there... then it should be searching Microsoft shed load of stuff  (on line ) .... shouldn`t it ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter, at the bottom of the page for the pre-requisite item (the second this link) there is an option to download it as a stand alone update, this is what you should be doing and and then use the appropriate link for Client.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

shutter, I take it you have followed the recommendations on this page, which I have posted a link to in these Forums before? Worked for me when I was having problems with Windows Update running slowly!

shutter
Community Veteran

I clicked on the download as shown in the attached.

Which then gives me the "standalone Installer" box....    (still running .... )

shutter
Community Veteran

@NorthPole Yup !... been there,.... done that... both updates have already been installed... according to the WUSI when executing them after the download.

shutter
Community Veteran

@NorthPole   @Anonymous  Just done a check on the Installed Updates.... and although KB3172605 is showing... it also says Failed...   so have cancelled, the running WUSI... and now starting with KB3172605  

Time now 15:07     [WUSI off and running.............. ]

shutter
Community Veteran

16:25 and still "Searching for updates on this computer".....

( It was number 4 on the listing of "installed updates"  ....   didn`t take me long to find it....  ! ! )

Update on the updater...... 18:00 and still searching.....  Sad

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Fix

You need to disconnect your computer from the internet and reboot (staying disconnected) before running these standalone installers.  Otherwise you're in much the same situation as checking for updates ordinarily.

shutter
Community Veteran

@ReedRichards Thanks for that tip... will give it a go in the morning...

shutter
Community Veteran

@ReedRichards  Thanks for that tip... 08:27 started computer    ......0830 disconnected WIFI  and started the WUSI

starting with KB3172605 

0832... Do you want to install this update  ?   

YUP !... 0845... install complete... restart your computer.. 

0846 ... restarted with blue screen ! ! ...    Re-booted to the "safe screen"... started windows normally... then waited for the Updating your computer screen to finish... started the "Windows Update" from Control Panel.... 

08:48    Three important updates are available... do you want to install them  ? ?  

Yup !  I sure do ! ! ! .... so now it is doing just that... 

What a relief...  Thanks very much ... Smiley