Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 Pro repair problem

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Win 7 Pro repair problem

@quelquod Do you know what you are talking about ? cos I don`t...

After the odd 40 years in IT I expect I do know a bit but rather than respond to your insults let me repeat in simpler language what I said already.

You can't always use the original disk to repair your current Windows because, after the updates that Microsoft have downloaded over time, the files on the original disk are out of date and don't always work with an assortment of the newer ones.

sfc /scannow from a command window will check, and if wanted repair, broken system files. It needs access to a current set of files to repair from. Not the same as System Restore. Your thread title is 'Repair', right?

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

The reason I made that remark, was because you were talking about Windows 10... and my thread title mentioned Win 7 Pro.

I am well aware of how W10 was borked from the beginning.  and that because of the way that W10 does its updates, it would probably be impossible to use the "repair" facility on the install disc..

However... as stated ... I am using Win 7 Pro... with a proper Dell install disc, on a Dell machine. and it was installed only about 1 year ago.. so I would expect that the "repair" facility to work..

Your advice about "sfc /scannow from a command window"  is noted, and thanks for that.. will give it a go.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I've done lots of Windows 10 repair installations.  As with other Windows versions you can only begin the process from within Windows so it's no good if you cannot get Windows to start.  But if you can, just insert your installation medium and run the Windows 10 set-up program, asking to preserve programs and data.  In Windows 10 there is a nasty tendency for the Apps to stop working whilst the conventional programs keep going; a repair re-install fixes this.

Of course you should be able to do exactly the same thing with Windows 7; I cannot see why it doesn't work for you @shutter

shutter
Community Veteran

Over the years, ( from Win 3.1 on floppy discs....  to present time..)   I, too, have installed many O.S on computers. and when things needed to be "fixed" my first port of call has always been the original install disc. and reverting to the "repair" option... and so, I was very surprised by the message that I saw.... hence my query on this forum, to see if it had happened to anyone else... and any "solve it" reply.

At the moment. I am working on another HDD, that I have just done a New Install, from formatting the HDD to adding on the 20 Dell drivers, and then m y apps & progs... at the same time... downloading and installing over 200 updates, with the associated slowing down of the general processor, and the delays involved with the "reboot" to "configure" windows updates..  I reckon I`m about 99% finished with that.  The system seems to be running much quicker than the "problem" hdd... just got a few more docs to add and double check that nothing has been missed for transferring over..

will have another go with the "repair" option and see if it was just a "blip"... as you said, it should work ! ..

will give the command line a go as well... just to see what happens there..

Thanks for all the input... much appreciated.... as usual.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@shutter, I think we are conversing at cross purposes.  You should be able to boot a Windows computer from the installation disk then find a Repair option that gives you access to a number of facilities but does not really give you the option to repair as such.  Alternatively you can install a new copy of Windows over your existing copy of Windows and that really does repair a corrupt copy of Windows.  This is sometimes called a Repair Re-install - but you can only do that if you start your computer normally. 

shutter
Community Veteran

Agree, to a point.... The computer does boot up... but there are lots of "laggy" responses, and I`m talking about 1 or 2 minutes or more, after clicking on things, before anything happens...

The Disc, is an Original Re-install disc.. that I used for the original install on this machine.... and when I start up the computer I have a choice of Boot options,... so I insert the CD... and choose CD drive... it then goes through the initital "windows is loading files".. with a black screen and a white line across the bottom,... eventually, you get a windows starting... and then you have to choose your language... after that you get the choice of INSTALL in the middle of the window, or Repair  in the left hand side..

click on the repair, and it "should" go through the motions of checking the installed files against those on the disc,

instead, almost immediately it came up with the response earlier posted. which seems a bit "weird" considering the previous actions.

Moving on... I did a normal boot up... and chose "safe" with Command Prompt, and then used the  "sfc /scannow" command.... after 10 minutes,... it reported..

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Windows resource found corrupt files and repaired them. Details included in the CBS log.....

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

after the initial sfc /scannow boot up, I tried to open a program called "Blaze TV  HDTV V.6.0 "  which is for watching TV from a usb DVB T dongle on Freeview  ( using a proper TV ANTENNA ).

This program "hangs"... and eventually a notice came up ....

____________________________________________________________________________________________

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped working. You can stop the script or open the script in Debugger, or let the script continue.

Script://chrome//browser/content/browser-places.js1855

[CONTINUE]      [DEBUG SCRIPT]    [STOP SCRIPT]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

In a separate window,... this message appears... 

MainApp MFC Application is not responding

Windows is checking for solution

[ OK ].....................................(well no, not really,... and not  really a helpful message)

I clicked stop script... and it appeared again... after about 2 mins... so I clicked continue... then got fed up waiting for Firefox to open up a search page on google... ( waited at least 3 mins for it to appear )

I then used CTRL ALT DEL and shut down the computer.... however, that took about 15 mins, and then produced a blue screen with loads of white text on it... saying ,..basically, that windows had found an error and shut down to protect it...  mentioning    "Driver Power State Failure" near the start..

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

So... at the moment... I am going to use the "new install" already prepared, and bin off this one that is causing so much grief.

Eventually, I will do a format on it, and re-install again... and use it as a backup.

Thanks for all you input guys... it may help someone somewhere, sometime !.. but as for me..... Case Closed  !.. (unresolved though it may be ! ! )...Wink

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

click on the repair, and it "should" go through the motions of checking the installed files against those on the disc,

No, that's not what happens at all.  You get a variety of options including the chance to perform a System Restore or run a CMD prompt.  You can then use chkdsk to check the integrity of the files on the disk or you might be able to run a version of the System File Checker if you can get the syntax right, something like here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html