cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 BSOD

David_W
Rising Star

Win 7 BSOD

I had another BSOD earlier, I did get them on my previous install so did a clean install but playing Tropico 3 (yep, I'm a wanna be dictator!) I obtained a lovely BSOD, just as my exports were starting to make me enough money to develop some more sweat shops too.
The error code isn't helpful at all:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0x00000000001a4243, 0x0000000000000008, 0x00000000001a4243). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 031210-20560-01.

No hints as to what may have caused it.  A little Googling brought me to the conclusion it's caused by :
0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
A memory access violation occurred. (Parameter 4 of the bug check is the address that the driver attempted to access.)

Probably.  Parameter 4 is, err, 0x00000000001a4243?  Which brings no results on Google.
My instinct is that it's my onboard sound card driver, it stutters before the crash.  The videocard worked perfectly well on my old motherboard, as well as the PSU which is a chunky 700 watt quality device, although I could be totally wrong and it could be something else.  Naturally I don't want to go out and buy a nice flashy new sound card if it's something other than the sound card, so any other ideas or knowledge of what may be causing it?
Hardware:
Intel P4/DC E6500
6GB DDR2 RAM
Asrock P43DE
EVGA 8800GTS 320Mb
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Win 7 BSOD

I once worked on a machine where faulty graphics software occasionally threw the computer into a loop.  This caused the sound to stutter.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If it is an ATI or NVidia card I would check for the latest driver, or a beta if there are specific issues with that game (not familiar with it so cant help, nor am I using a M$ OS Shocked but this is general advice)
matt_2k34
Grafter

hey dgwebb -
Go into device manager, disable your sound card - then try playing again, afaik this should indicate if the issue is with the sound card as it shouldnt get any info)
the details are bit sketchy Sad .. whats the inside of the case like? ive had issues like this when the RAM modules were rather dusty, try taking them out and swapping them over? (each time you reinsert them it tends to clean the contacts)
as Hairy Biker suggested, try getting the latest graphics drivers! Smiley

(side note: if you like Tropico 3, look up Democracy 2 and Superpower 2 Smiley )
David_W
Rising Star

The BSOD's only happened once so far so disabling through hardware manager would not really assist in any way as it's not a common enough occurrence to rule out any specific hardware though disabling one.  It may even cause issues with some games which expect a sound card but can't find one.  However, Windows 7 did pop up a nice red flag which told me the BSOD was caused by a hardware fault, but it couldn't determine which piece of hardware caused the fault. 
The hardware inside my case is pretty new, at Xmas I got a new case and accidentally broke my old AMD motherboard so purchased a new board and CPU, Intel this time, everything inside is seated nicely, there is enough (700 Watts) power to supply my system.  All my drivers are up-to-date so all I can do is wait for the next BSOD and hope it'll be a bit more productive in it's error code.
matt_2k34
Grafter

have you checked the event log mate?
it might give you abit more info other than just hardware fault (fingers crossed) Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

That's where I got the bugcheck from 😕  Apparently Intel chips are supposed to give more detailed information in a bug check, but I can't actually find the more detailed information >.<