Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the real "new" features in Windows 7 please stand up

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Will the real "new" features in Windows 7 please stand up

<a href="http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1009&tag=nl.e011"> Check out </a>
Interesting comparison of the "New" features in W7 vs Linux.
e.g.
Shake, Peek, and Snap: The sad thing is that Microsoft PR makes these features out to be big. They’re not, at least when you’ve used KDE and/or Compiz for any length of time. Shake is basically mouse gestures (which you can configure in nearly any Linux desktop), Peek is translucency (again any Compiz install has this), and Snap is effectively edge-snapping hot spots.
10 REPLIES 10
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Will the real "new" features in Windows 7 please stand up

There was a similar article in Linux Format a few months back, although looking at a W7 beta, naturally. They seemed to do their best to make an objective comparison, but came to pretty much the same conclusion.
StickyMick
Grafter

At least they're not claiming to have saved the world from certain doom Apple style, like they did with Vista. Been quite a hush hush affair if you ask me.
Mand
Grafter

Re:Will the real "new" features in Windows 7 please stand up

I like Windows 7, whilst a lot of features may not be new, they are new to Windows. And much as some of us dislike it, we are forced to use Windows in certain situations.
If nothing else having these features as standard in Windows will make it easier for non-techy users to go for Linux in the future (in my experience it's the fact that Ubuntu et al *look* so different from Windows that puts off the technophobes in my family :D).
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Re:Will the real "new" features in Windows 7 please stand up

Quote from: Mand
I like Windows 7, whilst a lot of features may not be new, they are new to Windows.

What we are trying to point out is that if you want the new "features" and don't want to pay for W7 try Linux, using that and VirtualBox you can use your XP apps in a VM just like W7 for FREE
James
Grafter

This whole unix thing sounds like a bit of a con to me, designed by people who want others to keep their computers turned off for fear of breaking something.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

A bit of a con, HOW? In what way?? It is free to try,free to download, FREE to USE and doesn't cost anything.
Have I missed anything?
Cravats:-
1. New games are unlikely to run, older ones (6 months-1Year old will probably run via Crossover Games)
2. You cant run I.E. and get all those nice viruses/malware that takes hors to remove.
3. You cant use Lexmark printers/scanners. Since they are M$ supported and cost £££ to keep supplied, better off with an epson/canon/hp
4. It isn't OSX either.
But also you don't need to spend £££ on a new box every-time a new release comes out,  You don't need Gb's of RAM (512Mb-1Gb is perfectly adequate), you can install it in 40 minutes and be surfing the net, writing letters and emails out of the box, without installing any other software.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I like the new features in Ubuntu that totally bork you PC when you upgrade to Karmic Koala...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HairyMcbiker
All Star

What you missed the same feature in Vista?  Smiley
Agreed that KK is a bit of a "grower" Clean installs seem to be fine. But this thread isn't about Ubuntu. Grin
James
Grafter

Quote from: biker955
A bit of a con, HOW? In what way?? It is free to try,free to download, FREE to USE and doesn't cost anything.
Have I missed anything?

Gotcha Cheesy Cheesy
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Crazy Sad