Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Sagem 2704N give better Wi-fi?

steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Will Sagem 2704N give better Wi-fi?

Hi,
I have been using a Thomson TG585v7 router for 7 years.
Would the Sagem 2704N that PlusNet are now supplying for ADSL give a better Wifi performance than the Thomson?
I sometimes have problems with dropped connections when using a tablet in one of my rooms (about 1 day out of 7 days), and wondered if the new router would give better performance now they are 7 years further on in their designs.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Will Sagem 2704N give better Wi-fi?

It's difficult to the Sagemcom 2704N would provide better performance than anything!
I would suggest looking as supplying your own router.  That way you can choose a Dual band unit that supports `ac`.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

To be honest, i wouldn't say its that great myself. Sure it does the job and it has a pretty web admin panel but the wifi does drop and we frequently see "Authentication problem" messages on the multiple android devices we have in the house that use wifi. Those messages only go away once the router has been rebooted.
Personally I would happily go back to using a PCI wifi card in AP mode on a WinXP powered box... but i don't have a small one of those around thats cheap to run that i could use for that at the moment. When I did this years ago i found it to be much more reliable - wifi just didn't drop at all - never. The card had AP mode turned on on the card itself so it went into AP mode as soon as the power button was pressed - not some junk piece of windows software that would work as an AP... which is going to be prone to failure at some point.
I've no idea what USB access points are like but you might have better luck using one of those if you want a reliable wifi connection - just plug into a small computer (even a laptop thats wired up with an ethernet cable maybe?) and be done with it that way. Heck i think raspberry pi's are supposed to have a good reputation for wifi APs too. Alternatively you could try a relatively cheap TP-Link TL-WR702N - small and supposed to be pretty good.. but no idea how that would work with your existing modem / router combination (I say that as on fibre the 2704 has to be wired up to a seperate modem - and i don't know if the tp link unit could operate a seperate modem).
I guess what i'm saying is that you might be better just buying a seperate AP and plugging it into the back of your existing setups LAN socket...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Chilly and 7up for the advice.