cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi

rookey
Grafter

Wifi

I never know how temperamental wifi was till i had Fibre installed.
When I was on ADSL 21CN the internet speed etc was great this is due to internet speed being so low so the connection between the wifi didn't need to be so high.. So it works around the house brill.
When I had the Fibre installed 78mb this when I started to notice that Wifi can be a Pain in the but. As if in the same round as the router it brill when go into another room it drops if got upstairs in the room other side of house it poor if in room above the room where wifi is it brill.  This is when I realise how Wifi can be.
So I upgraded to a new router with Dual band and i have to use the 5GZ connection I get pretty stable connection all round the house 74mb download.
Is this the culture of wifi...
4 REPLIES 4
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Wifi

wifi speed normally drops with distance from the router, this is far more noticeable with single channel single antenna routers, and its worse still if there are other wifi signals in the area
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

If you use a low-quality router, the wifi usually is rubbish, the TG582n as supplied by many ISPs these days are terrible, break wind in the same town as them and the wifi drops out, that's why I chucked mine in my drawer of many things and kept using my existing D-Link router which can comfortably reach out to the middle of the garden (which is a fair old distance!!)... Smiley
rookey
Grafter

Which GZ you using 2.4 or 5. I've found 5 works brilliant here
Yes I notice with fibre plus net router no good
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

My D-Link's old enough to not have 5GHz available, so, 2.4GHz, it's just got a very powerful transceiver setup so has pretty good range for something that VirginMedia bundled with their broadband a few years back (and I had to re-flash with original D-Link firmware to make it stable and useable)... Smiley