Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi takes ages to reconnect after PC sleep

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Wifi takes ages to reconnect after PC sleep

Over the last few days I've a problem with my wifi not reconnecting when the PC is woken up. It says no connections available and I have a little white square in the system tray with a red cross through it. Problem solving doesn't help just says problem not solved. 

I looked on various fora and made sure all the usual recommendations have been done such as Device manager > wifi > power settings and made sure the box 'allow this computer to turn off this device to save power' is unchecked.

No other devices have a problem and all is well via ethernet cable.

It's doing my head in. Could it be the wifi card needs replacing?

3 REPLIES 3
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Wifi takes ages to reconnect after PC sleep

I would go on the WiFi card manufacturers website first and look for updated drivers.
If the came pre fitted when you bought the PC it may also be worth looking on the PC manufacturers website. I know from experience that Dell, Lenovo and HP all put drivers on their websites.
Don't get a driver from any other site on the internet as they may be bundled with Malware. I would also steer clear of those driver finder tools too, for the same reason.
dgw1
Dabbler

When a computer starts/wakes up it needs to go through a number of processes, and unfortunately they don't always go in order of your importance. If you have any rogue software installed, or background tasks which have high system dependency this will add to the mix, (and for a network device to connect there are a whole host of processes/services it needs to implement first). Things you can do are "alt, control, delete" and see what programs, services and background tasks are being performed, together with their system resource use. Anything on there you don't understand, a simple Google search will normally give you the answers, together with what can be done to speed things up. If push comes to shove, and you have system restore running, you can always take your computer back to a time when things were working the way you expected them to Wink   Hope this helps Smiley

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the replies. 

I saw on Windows 10 forum it was suggested that turning on the 'allow pc to turn off device to save power' will sometimes work and strangely it has, so far. I sometimes need to reconnect manually but at least I have the icon in the system tray so only 2 clicks. I'll have a look for drivers.

The problem started about 10 days ago and had the PC for nearly 2 years.