cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi login abroad

paulmac

Wifi login abroad

Hi,
I've used my plusnet account to login through a BT Openzone access point at Luton Airport with no problems. However, when I'm abroad (recently Madrid and Amsterdam) I can see the BTOpenzone as a provider in the dropdown of people who the access point provider obviously has an agrement with. But I can see no way to use my plusnet account details to login with. Is this because the access point provider is not BTOpenzone?
Thanks
Paul

14 REPLIES 14
Assos
Grafter

Re: Wifi login abroad

Yup, PlusNet's agreement with BT only extends to Openzone operated hotspots, not partner hotspots.
paulmac

Are there any plans to extend the reach of plus.net wireless access points abroad or develop other partnerships?
Thanks
Paul
itlity
Grafter

Please to see that post: I register last week thinking I could use this in Belgium earlier this week. And I faced the same issue as Paul.
That point should be at least stated in the T&Cs -or did I overlook something?
Any chance to get an answer to Paul's question?
Patrice
RichSmol
Grafter

Hi,
i've highlighted the Openzone T&Cs to the rest of the Product Team and we'll get this clarified.
Traditionally, Openzone was only meant for UK use only. We are following developments of BT FON which is a separate service allowing wi-fi users to connect to any 'listed' hotspot. FON will provide the European access and the BT HomeHub the UK access allowing you to roam freely inbetween (or at least thats the plan). We're watching developments quite eagerly and plan to be a part of this - although I wouldnt of thought that BT would be in a position to allow us to use the service within the next 6 months. See the link below for more details on BT FON:
Linky
This link shows a map of europe, highlighting the available hotspots for FON access:
Linky
So, to answer your question, we dont have any plans to develop Openzone but we are looking into better alternatives which provide european access.
Moderators note by James_H : Shortened long link that was stretching the page. Wink
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: RichSmol
- although I wouldnt of thought that BT would be in a position to allow us to use the service within the next 6 months. See the link below for more details on BT FON:

Not sure what you mean by this statement.  BT FON is only available to BT users who allow wireless access to their broadband connection. Unlike BT Openzone which is available free to some or all BT broadband contracts. Anybody can join the FON community directly with FON and this will give access to BT FON.
RichSmol
Grafter

I was referring to a couple of things there....
-the BT FON site is pre-register only at the moment and will probably be so for the next 6 months and with plans for PlusNet to move to the HomeHub still some way in the future its difficult to say when this type of change will become prioritised on the workstack
-there has been no talk of operating within the BT FON cloud, obvisouly this can only occur when we start using the HomeHub anyway and after BT have ensured it works for themselves.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: RichSmol
... and with plans for PlusNet to move to the HomeHub still some way in the future its difficult to say when this type of change will become prioritised on the workstack ...

Does this mean that PlusNet have a plan to force everyone into using a BT HomeHub?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

No, certainly not.
We do plan on offering it early next year, once BT make it available for us to do so. Certainly not going to be forcing it onto people though!
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plus Net's WiFi service is pretty much useless to me at present restricted to UK BT Openzone only. I really need it overseas with roaming partners, especially in the US. e.g. T-Mobile.
If/when the service is extended, will it only be available if we have a Home Hub?
Also, slightly off-topic, but on the subject of Home Hub. Would we be able to call Home Hub users on PN and BT from the regular PlusNet Broadband Phone facility using SIP without using Home Hub?
I have a router that I'm very happy with and has all the facilities and configurability I need, plus it has VoIP which works with PN's Broadband Phone. I don't use the VoIP at present but if I could call BT customers with Home Hub from it that would be ideal.
puddy
Grafter

while I was in spain I went outside the 1/2 millon euro properties and borrowed a connection. a blocks of expensive flats in the US work too subject to local laws of course
puddy
mbeenham
Rising Star

In Spain I have found that Wifi access is either free (local library) or very cheap 1Euro/hr charged by the minute at the local internet cafe.
In OZ and NZ there are a lot of free access hotspots either community run or at the local library.
In NZ an hour's paid access is 10 dollars for an hour (about 3 pounds) billed by the minute from NZ telecom. Lots of access, even from selected public telephones.
I only recently migrated to PN but would probably use the facility if I couldn't find free (legit) access. I don't believe in stealing bandwidth even if ppl are silly enough to leave their network unsecured.
Just my (limited) experience...
Cheers,
Martin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In UK most (all?) local libraries will give you a free hour's web access via one of their computers - permission / membership sometimes needed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

itsme
Grafter

Are you aware of www.fon.com which is also supported by BT www.btfon.com
deadkenny
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Are you aware of www.fon.com which is also supported by BT www.btfon.com

That's what's talked about above I believe.
If I understand it, BT's Home Hub has been enhanced to support the FON network.
The way it works I think is the hub (or any FON router) has the ability to share the broadband connection with other FON users, but it does this by creating a separate secure network in the router independent from your private broadband. Essentially the network is using your equipment to provide hotspots but it isn't sharing your own network. Only thing is I guess it can reduce the bandwidth available but I assume you're not charged for what anyone else uses.
I did read though that there is the concept of an 'alien' on the FON network where anyone can get WiFi access, but not necessarily free. So you don't have to be part of FON to use a FON hotspot... I think ?

Talking of billing though... how about charging by data used instead of time? I thought we were rid of archaic data charges like this when the net moved to broadband and mobiles moved to GPRS. I guess it's just that most of the WiFi operators are backed by telecom companies that profit more from time based charging.
Problem with WiFi is you can't have any form of "always on" with public WiFi because of this. VoIP is essentially rulled out.