Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi cards

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Wifi cards

Hi all
Anyone know of any modern wifi cards that are small and can be put into AP mode without a windows logon?
I've got one of these emachines computers -the EL1352 and its one of those sleek cases thats smaller than the traditional ATX case. It's width is less than a normal PCI card so i need one of those slim cards (heck it might even be PCI-E for all i know).
I need a wifi card that can go into AP mode like a normal PCI card that is based on a ralink rt2500 chipset. My current desktop has the ralink based chip on its wifi card and with the bit of software available from the ralink site you can switch the card into AP mode - which it does automatically once windows has loaded without any user even logging on. It's very handy as you can imagine and i'd like to replicate this on the new machine.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Wifi cards

Quote from: okrzynska
... It's very handy as you can imagine ...

No, I cannot imagine at all; I have no idea what you are trying to achieve.  Perhaps, given the lack of replies so far, I'm not the only one.
7up
Community Veteran

Basically put the card into ACCESS POINT MODE.
It's handy because there is no router needed. You have full control mac and ip control etc. There are many advantages.
All I'm asking is does anyone know of a slimline PCI wifi card that does is capable of this?
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

7up
Community Veteran

You my friend are a LEGEND!
Cheers pal Wink
7up
Community Veteran

Just to update this thread...
I had an old Pluscom piece of cr@p in the cupboard sat in the box. Turns out it uses the Ralink RT2561 chipset. I remember having trouble with it before in AP mode so got it out and tinkered with it on a clean system. Useless. Downloaded ralinks drivers, worked but only after you logged on otherwise the card wouldn't initialise properly.
2 days of trial, error, hair pulling, feeling fed up etc... I finally stumbled totally by accident onto a forum where someone had the older version of the RT2561 drivers. Installed.. worked perfectly first time. Booted the machine, didn't logon and it showed up on a scan straight away. Perfect!
Now.. I just remembered half way through typing this that the issue was actually nothing to do with that.. i was looking for a slimline wasn't i  Grin Still, I have news on that too. My old RT2500 based card has a slimline plate (though no 64Bit drivers) which I found so I can use that in the new PC with a bit of luck although that doesn't solve the lack of USB support in Win7 for USB modems. Never simple in my world..  Sad