cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Repeaters what's in a name?

amcclean
Rising Star

Wifi Repeaters what's in a name?

I have two repeaters around the house to ensure I get a great reception both upstairs and in the back garden. At present the home network wifi has four ssids which help identify which source they are attached to and all devices are setup to recognise them. I have no real issues apart from some devices connect to the garden repeater even if they are next to the main router.
Is it ok to have the 4 ssids or should they all be the same and if so what are the advantages of changing.

Current:
BelkinXXXX
BelkinXXXX5 to identify 5Ghz
BelkinXXXX_etc
BelkinXXXX_garden_ext

Cheers,
podman
4 REPLIES 4
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Wifi Repeaters what's in a name?

Really they ought to be the same SSID so that your computer or mobile device will switch between them seamlessly, your computer can decide if it needs 2.4GHz or 5GHz depending on signal strength and quality, aswell as the range between router/repeater and the receiving device... Smiley
amcclean
Rising Star

At present they all move between the different ssids with no real problem.
I'll try moving them all to one though and see how it goes.
podman
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I don' know if the same applies to all devices but Windows will connect to wireless networks in a particular order - which I think places the latest wireless network it knows about at the top of the list.  You should be able to re-order the list if you want to. 
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ive tried wireless repeaters in the past & had mixed success with them, I found replacing the lot with one decent wireless router is a much better long term solution.