cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Extender...thingy?

izzieobrien
Dabbler

Wifi Extender...thingy?

I'm not sure what their official name is so apologies if extender is wrong.
I have a wifi router at the back of the flat, and my bedroom where I spend a lot of my time at the moment (not well) can only reach my chromebook in there. My phone can't seem to pick it up so I can't watch now tv on it.
Is there a particular type I should buy for a plusnet connection/router or are they universal? Can anybody recommend one in particular bearing in mind I'm on a budget so can't fork out gazillions on it?
Thanks in advance for help given  Grin
6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Wifi Extender...thingy?

probably cheapest way would be to "hard - wire" an extension from the Master Socket phone connection, to somewhere nearer the bedroom..( say middle of flat ).. where there is a convenient mains socket to plug the router in....
I run my router from such a set up.... it may cost me a bit on speed...but not so I notice it... I`m still getting 6.5MB .... on a wireless connection 10m from the master socket, on a 6MB line !!!
You  can install the hard-wired extension yourself... it is not difficult...  all you need is sufficient cable,  (10 mtrs ).... eBay item number:  261547328665

and a phone terminal block,    eBay item number:  310991831768

and some  phone cable clips.... eBay item number: 221373712579
Or..... buy one already made up.... 10 mtr.. ( 33 feet )...eBay item number:  261302955173 from Mr. Telephone .....
I can recommend "Mr Telephone"... he gives very fast service... first class postings... ( also can supply any length of cable you require)....

Do not use a telephone extension cable....
izzieobrien
Dabbler

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I would do that but I live in a private rental and don't want to do any sort of wiring. My landlord would not like that hehe.
Thanks
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If you use the "last option"... it can be run under the carpet along the edge of the wall.... already made up... and his write up explains that he can do any length from 5 to 50mtrs made up....
check him out...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-WHITE-Internal-Telephone-Extension-Cable-BT-CW1308-/261302955173?pt=LH...
thunderer
Grafter

Have a look at Amazon and enter NETGEAR WN3000RP-200UKS, if you have a Wi-Fi router you can just do a WPS pair up with it and you should find that you'll have coverage.
It can be a bit of a confusing thing to set up using a Wi-Fi linkage, you can't use an RJ-45 (Ethernet cable) to do it. But once it's done it's great.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could move your bed nearer to the router.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

lemming
Grafter

Are you confident that your phone's wi-fi capability and configuration are otherwise ok?  Can it connect with your router if nearer to it?  Does it detect other WLANs in your neighbourhood?
If it is functioning but poorly, I wonder if it might be worth experimenting with using different wi-fi channels, in the hope that some may experience less competing interference.  I can't find any channel configuration on my own phone -- I assume it may do automatic selection -- but your router should allow you to specify individual channels, rather than the default "automatic".  Or does automatic selection nowadays do the optimising for interference itself?
Changes in the position of the router within the room, or of its aerial position, could also possibly have some effect.