Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Direct

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Wifi Direct

I see wifi-direct can be quite strong and broadcast on the same channel as your own network.

Just an observation though seeing as my router is further away.

Roku.PNG

19 REPLIES 19
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Wifi Direct

Couldn't you update the wifi channel on the wifi direct or our router so they don't overlap?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
30FTTC06
Pro

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I see this more of an observation than a problem, but Think it could cause an issue for other members, that being the reason I chose to highlight Wifi Direct. I use the Roku3 with a wired connection but most of our stuff uses wireless which happens to be upstairs using 40 wide Bandwith which is quite brutal to be fair. As for moving channel on the Roku that isn't possible.

Also for some reason the Roku seems to follow and mirror your wifi channel.

Reading their forums for a solution it seems that you would need to turn off your WiFi and Roku then power up your Roku with a little delay.... then bring up your WiFi on a seperate channel, but the post seems to suggest the guy was using 5ghz with the Roku defaulting to 2.4ghz ch9.

I just wonder how many other devices of this type do this sort of thing.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

My neighbour's (modem-)router, when set to automatic for the channel, used to follow the settings on my router with a few seconds delay.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's not really a problem things being on the same channel as other things. There is a finite amount of air time and everything will have to share it, but it's not really any different from devices within a wireless network all co-existing and sharing the bandwidth.

Why are channels 2 through 10 being occupied, rather than 1 through 9?

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Wifi Direct, but it probably has to be on the same channel as your main wireless network, because you probably don't want to disconnect from your wireless access point while transferring something over Wifi Direct, and most (older) wireless network adapters can only be on one channel at a time. It's easier for a single wireless network adapter to do two different connections, both on the same channel, than it would be for it to do two connections on different channels at the same time.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@ejs wrote:

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Wifi Direct, but it probably has to be on the same channel as your main wireless network, because you probably don't want to disconnect from your wireless access point while transferring something over Wifi Direct, 

Is that possible?  I had thought you would have to disconnect from your wireless access point.

30FTTC06
Pro

Most of my stuff now does channel bonding so I do 40 Wide.

As for the Roku, I didn't look at it that way tbh ejs as I was using a wired connection for it.

I imagine the wifi direct portion recieves voice commands and youtube play list requests etc.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@ReedRichards wrote:

@ejs wrote:

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Wifi Direct, but it probably has to be on the same channel as your main wireless network, because you probably don't want to disconnect from your wireless access point while transferring something over Wifi Direct, 

Is that possible?  I had thought you would have to disconnect from your wireless access point.

From http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-direct

Can a device simultaneously connect to a regular Wi-Fi network and a group of Wi-Fi Direct-certified devices at the same time?

... Simultaneous connection to a Wi-Fi Direct-certified group and an infrastructure network is an optional feature.

The iw command reports the capabilities of my Intel Wireless AC 8260 as:

valid interface combinations:
		 * #{ managed } <= 1, #{ AP, P2P-client, P2P-GO } <= 1, #{ P2P-device } <= 1,
		   total <= 3, #channels <= 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@ejs wrote:

... Simultaneous connection to a Wi-Fi Direct-certified group and an infrastructure network is an optional feature.

The iw command reports the capabilities of my Intel Wireless AC 8260 as:

valid interface combinations:
		 * #{ managed } <= 1, #{ AP, P2P-client, P2P-GO } <= 1, #{ P2P-device } <= 1,
		   total <= 3, #channels <= 2

So is it really multiple wireless adaptors masquerading as a single adaptor or something cleverer than that?

30FTTC06
Pro

@ejs I had a chance to look back over the reason for selecting 40 Wide, the graphs are as follows, the slower speed graph represents 20 Wide and the faster speed 40 Wide. To note the router is running bleading edge dd-wrt firmware and is upstairs.

20-wide.PNG40-Wide.PNG

Edit: For clarity.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17)
Time: 19:14:54 up 85 days, 4:04, load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.10

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I wasn't questioning your decision to use 40MHz rather than 20MHz - I was questioning why it looks like it's overlapping all the usual channels (1-11), rather than leaving some room at one or other end of the spectrum for a non-overlapping 20MHz wide channel.

30FTTC06
Pro

In testing that was what came out best for me ch8,4, that being said - it has taken a vast amount of testing on various Firmwares to get to this point. I do have a lot of traffic upstairs on ch1,3 so that maybe why I used the upper end.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

But you're not using the upper end - it's positioned awkwardly in the middle leaving neither end free.

30FTTC06
Pro

I think the reason for that could be the router only allows for me to pick the main ch, it then gives a choice of higher or lower for the second ch, it ain't the most advanced bit of kit for sure. Can I do it from the command line, it more than likely can be done but I've not even looked tbh.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

So why didn't you pick the main channel as 1 or 11?