Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widows 10 - Buzzing Sound Inputs

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Widows 10 - Buzzing Sound Inputs

I have quite a lot of old music on tape and decided it would be a good idea to add it to my digital library.  No problem! Plug in sound source , fire up software, job done.

This is the first time I have tried to do this with W10 and it came as a bit of a surprise that both the MIC and Line In connections produced nothing more than a loud buzzing noise.

I spent most of an afternoon trawling the internet and experimenting with settings to no avail. It seems that this is a known problem with no obvious answer. Perhaps nobody wants a sound input with all the downloads available?

This issue now is plan B - How to get the sound recorded in a way I can copy it back into the computer for editing. I have an old Sony DVD recorder which was mainly for video but perhaps it would record sound only  leaving a conversion problem.

Anyone else had this problem or does one simply pay a streaming service for a download one can keep!

Modern technology is wonderful...........!

10 REPLIES 10
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Widows 10 - Buzzing Sound Inputs

Where are you taking your outputs from @TeeGee? What type of device is the tape's sound source?

Assuming you are using a Tape Deck of some type, you should, if not already, be using an RCA to 3.5mm line input cable like this.

Do you get any audio that's fed from the tape source arrive on the PC? If not, have you verified the input source on the PC. When using the Audio Control panel on Windows and a tape playing on the source you should see this via the VU meters on the panel. If it's not obvious change the input device on the control panel.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

What software you using? I had some problems recording with Windows 10 - got a keyboard that I like to have a bash on. I ended up with a copy of Audacity on the drive which seem to get the job done. Of course, if you're using something like that already, Mooks suggestion might help. Do you hear anything from the tape deck when you plug some headphones into your PC?

I'm assuming your tapes are well stored. I ended up binning most (read, eventually all) of mine. Damp had got in and I ended up with lots of debris contaminating the tape heads as it played back. Junk!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Thanks both for replies.  Tapes play fine, everything from Everly Brothers to Emmylou Harris!

Source is a Sony system with 3.5mm output to 3.5mm on PC. Sound directly from source is crystal clear.

Setting Sound in computer to "listen" there is just this constant buzzing from either MIC or Line In. Audio from within the PC is perfectly OK.

Preferred software is Audio Cleaning Lab by Magix, originally used for LPs.

Looks like a trip up into the loft to see if a dedicated tape deck makes any difference.  It could be a mismatch of source and connection so I will try some more variations  to find something that works and get back with a result.

Mook
Seasoned Champion

@TeeGee, do you know what the intended output of the 3.5mm is on the Sony device? If it's for headphones then it may well be that the PC is auto attenuating the input due to the increased voltage, on what is, an amplified signal. If you have a tape deck in your loft or access to one then try that using a non amplified output like the line out RCAs.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@TeeGee 

A loud buzzing is generally caused br an open circuit input cable. Have you checked or tried a different one?  Fairly recently I have transferred recordings from tape onto my computer via an old 80s music centre through the headphone output without problems if the signal level is too high you simply turn it down using the volume control. I recorded using Audacity for the audio capture application.

Edit

After a double take, @Mook  Welcome back!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I have learned two things with this exercise. First is never believe everything you hear on the internet about Windows 10 - although T still prefer 7! Second just because a cable fits it might not be the right one!

The Sony 3.5mm output is for headphones but it does not seem to too strong. I have found a length of RCA/RCA cable and two RCA/3.5mm for each end which seems better (no buzz) and also got my cassette player acclimatising in my study ready for action with direct RCA output.

(Off topic - May need to test some more of my 70s hifi after this. Went to the "tip" this morning and some quality units in the electrical skip. Have people lost the teal meaning of life nowadays.....!)

Mook
Seasoned Champion

@TeeGee wrote:

(Off topic - May need to test some more of my 70s hifi after this. Went to the "tip" this morning and some quality units in the electrical skip. Have people lost the teal meaning of life nowadays.....!)

Could you have rescued them? I hate to see such stuff being thrown away, an indication of the throw away society some of us now inhabit, or a lack of taste.

Octal
Grafter

It sounds very much like you have a ground loop, it when two items of equipment have slightly different voltage leakage between them, it might only be a few millivolts but is more than sufficient to cause problems.

What needs to be done is the ground loop needs to be interrupted, it can simply be done using a 1:1 ratio audio transformer, it will isolate the two items of equipment blocking the different voltage potential but allowing the AC audio signals to pass, you can get one from Amazon quite cheaply.

Quite a common problem.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Mook wrote:

Could you have rescued them? I hate to see such stuff being thrown away, an indication of the throw away society some of us now inhabit, or a lack of taste.

Apparently it is not legal and they have CCTV too! I was there a while ago in pouring rain (no staff about) and chatted with a European gentlemen pleased he had found an item for spare parts he needed! We do have a local charity shop that does check electrical items properly and does sell them on but I have yet to find a Vox or Marshall amplifier either there or in the tip!

I see this as a serious waste problem and am mentally composing my letter to the local Council........

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Octal wrote:

What needs to be done is the ground loop needs to be interrupted, it can simply be done using a 1:1 ratio audio transformer, it will isolate the two items of equipment blocking the different voltage potential but allowing the AC audio signals to pass, you can get one from Amazon quite cheaply.

Quite a common problem.

Think I have solved the problem with a different cable/connectors but this item is a must have for my electrical box of tricks. Incredible what is out there that one does not always know about.

Amazon are amazing but I wonder if anyone here remembers Home Radio of Mitcham? A mail order emporium second to none in its day.