cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi transfer

weatherman
Grafter

WiFi transfer

I have a computer with Vista Ultimate WiFi enabled and another with XP Pro also WiFi enabled is there a way I can transfer data between the two without hardwiring or memory sticks etc
3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: WiFi transfer

Even Ultimate  Grin Wifi will be very slow at data transfer.
You cannot have a PC sending and receiving simultaneously - so it's a send packet to router, send packet from router to target PC.
Add in a few acknowledgements and you will see that it is slow.
Best way is to setup a FTP server on one PC and use FTP.
FTP is optimised for large amounts of data - but not for sending lots of little files.
I don't suppose Windows supports NFS does it?
You can send directory structures etc - I get a throughput of several MBytes a second with this on 54Mbps Wifi.
I know that sounds slow - but don't expect much more on wireless.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

You can do it you can map a drive to the other pc, remote desktop,ftp etc. Vista is a bit temperamental about connecting to XP. You must have a username and password set on xp or it often wont work.
Its a lot simpler if both pc's have the same username and password when you try to connect
aetos
Grafter

You should have no problems using wireless for transfering, set the two pcs up on the same network via the router and use the find computers near me.
It should be possible for you to share your drive ( ie: open it up) and transfer files
MArk