Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi security question

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

WiFi security question

I am hoping someone might know the answer to a problem.
My wife is on a boat (the mail boat going up the Norwegian coastline, calling in at every port en route up to the Russian border and back - the Hurtigrouten if anyone has comes across it before.  The boat has WiFi which sounds great, except that she only has a  Samsung Tablet with her and she cannot send emails.  She can get on the internet but cannot send anything.  Other passengers and even the crew complain about it, and I am assuming that outbound messaging has been blocked for security reasons.  Being Android the email client is based on Gmail, I think, although she uses her Plusnet account on it to receive emails.  I think that the outbound emails go through Gmail automatically but I could be wrong about that.
I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas about how to get round this problem ?  I do not have access of course to the tablet and so I am guessing, but I seem to remember that the emailsending account is (or has to be defaulted) to Gmail.  I really cannot remember.
I am wondering whether it is likely to be that just Gmail is blocked on the ship, and that setting her client to send through Plusnet (relay.plus.net) using her Plusnet account would work, or is it likely that they will have been able to block all outgoing messages ?  It may have something to do with the port number which I do not begin to understand !
Anyway, any ideas would be most appreciated.  Being at sea, there is no 3g signal, and when in port she only has very short visits and does not want to waste time in internet cafes if possible.
Thanks for any help on this.
10 REPLIES 10
sjptd
Grafter

Re: WiFi security question

Does using a browser interface instead of the gmail app work?  That wouldn't go via SMTP, which I assume the app does.  She could still use the app for reading messages if that works better for her.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Yeah it does sound like it's blocking email clients and only allowing http traffic.
The best that your missus can do is to use a webmail of some sort - even a free yahoo account will connect to a pop3 account and download the emails and allow you to reply etc (though it doesn't send back out through an external smtp but sends from its own yahoo address - from memory). If you do the webmail option just be sure to remember not to let it delete original emails from the pop3 acount otherwise you might find yourself in a pickle!
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

As far as I can see Hurtigrouten use ice.net as the ISP. Some ISP's will block access to other mail servers on port 25 but not usually any other ports. GMAIL uses 465 (for SSL) & 587(forTLS) by default so I wouldn't expect that to be blocked. If the tablet is using relay.plus.net then it may be set for port 25 in which case it may well be blocked, try chaing it to port 587 since PlusNet now support that(albeit not TLS). If all else fails then you could, assuming I'm correct in that they use ice.net, try using their server mail.icecomms.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shermans
Pro

Thanks, that is very helpful, SJPTD and 7up.  She could just use Plusnet Webmail, I suppose.  I will gete her to try that.
Also MisterW I will get her to change the port to 587 as you suggest, failing which to try icecomms.net.  That would be a really good solution if it works.
I really am grateful to you all.
shermans
Pro

Update
Again, my thanks to all who advised me before.
The current situation is, sadly, not much changed.  I have been trying to communicate to my wife how to change the Outgoing Server settings on the tablet, without success.  She is not very technical.  However, it is costing a fortune in telephone calls, and now is the time once again to ask for help.
The problem is entirely administrative, in as much as I do not have the tablet in my possession and have been trying to advise her from memory, without much success.  My only reference point is my Android mobile phone which is clearly not close enough to follow the same routine.
So I would be very grateful to anyone who has a Samsung Tab2, 7 inch (three years old) running, I think, Android Jelly Bean, and who could give me an idiot proof sequence which I could pass on to my wife.  I am sure that she needs to find Accounts somewhere, but no matter what I tell her to do, she cannot find the right screen.  So a step-by-step screen routine would really be appreciated.  She knows exactly what to do when she gets there, (don't we all ?) but finding the appropriate screen for the Outgoing Server is proving too much of a challenge.
As she has just crossed the Arctic Circle, she is becoming more reliant on the ship's WiFi, as mobile signals are becoming harder to fnd that far North.  To make matters worse, she is travelling with her sister who has cone over specially from Canada for the holiday of a lifetime, and she also has the same Samsung tablet with the same problem of course.  That means that she cannot communicate with her family in Canada either, except when I pass on messages.
So any further guidance would be most appreciated as always.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have one of these phones but what about doing it yourself via remote control using TeamViewer's App?
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mobile.aspx
You're wife should be able to down load this and run it. Just a thought.
shermans
Pro

Thanks for the idea, but I imagine that the tablet has to send screenshots back through the ship's WiFi, and I am very doubtful if that would work.  Furthermore, the WiFi is intermittent  and may keep losing the signal during communication on Team Viewer.  It is of course worth a try and I will give it a go if no-one else can help.  I do have a friend who uses Team Viewer to access his mother's hardware.  She has a tablet and I will ask him whether he has ever accessed the tablet, or only her laptop.
Thanks again.
sjptd
Grafter

Did my earlier suggestion of using a browser to https://www.gmail.com not work?  Should not need any settings such as Outgoing Server, just a signon with email and password?  How did it fail; might have extra suggestions?
shermans
Pro

sjptd
Yes, it did work indeed, except instead of Gmail, she used Plusnet Webmail.  But on a 7 inch tablet, it is not ideal because she has to learn a new programme !  I have to make allowance for anno domini.  It means she goes to the purser and asks to use the ship's computer instead, which she cannot do all the time.
However, I am investigating Team Viewer which Mook kindly suggested.  My friend unfortunately has not yet used it on his mother's tablet, but does use it all the time on her laptop, and it works well.  The problem may be exchanging passwords without a mobile phone signal.  Anyway, I am going to try it out on my own mobile phone from my computer to see if it is a serious posibility before I confuse my wife even further !  I suspect it might not like communicating however through the same IP addres but we will see.  I hope to learn something from it.
In the meantime, I am still hoping that someone out there might be able to tell me the sequence on a Samsung tablet to change the settings.
shermans
Pro

Mook
Thanks for your suggestion.  I have tried Team Viewer.  It works !!  What a surprise.  I tried TeamViewer for Mobile which only allows a mobile to control a PC but not the other way round.  So then I tried TeamViewer Quick Support which is another add-on, and lo and behold it does work.  At least with Android 4.2.2. Jelly Bean.  I can control my mobile from my PC.  My wife's mobile is probably 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and I am not so confident but it is definitely worth a try.
Thanks for a good idea.