cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi printer disconnected since changing router

Kittyd

WiFi printer disconnected since changing router

We changed plusnet router recently to a Sagemcom Router 2704N.

since then we cannot print on our Samsung xpress C480w

the Samsung app can not find the printer

the printer says it is disconnected

have scrolled through the printer menu to see where we can select the WiFi network but can’t find anything

also we have been messing about with the printer IP address entering our router IP address ( my partner did this when I was out !)

any help appreciated 

c

5 REPLIES 5
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: WiFi printer disconnected since changing router

I've had similar problems.

Firstly the printer will have to be on the same subnet so it can be seen on the network, you could use DHCP but I found when the lease time expires and the IP changes you have to mess around with the printer driver. That was around the Windows XP era - so not sure if this has changed now with Windows 10.

What I do is set my DHCP range to say from 192.168.1.30, so I know anything under that won't be given under that address won't be given out it to another device as you don't want to have an IP conflict. I have my printer manually set to 192.168.1.4.

First thing I would do is find out the IP address of the printer, sounds like it has been set manually so you should be able to find it in its settings. Then do a ping from your computer to the printer IP (with it switched on course).

If it responds to pings then it is accessible and you may need to reinstall the printer drivers.

If it doesn't it may not be on the same subject - for example most routers use 192.168.1.x, though my ISP uses 192.168.0.x and if your subject mask is 255.255.255.0 a .1 device won't see a .0.

Kittyd

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

plse can you explain where I set DHCP range ?

I can see the IP address on the settings menu from the printer and have set it to 192 168 1 4.

Hiw would I ping from a windows PC?

to clarify we are trying to print from iPads and iPhones

thanks

c

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I assume you have a Hub One - I will check later as I am not at my parents where they have one. Or someone may reply before me.

To do a ping, go to start menu and command shell and type.

ping 192.168.1.4.

If it responds with essentially a reply then the PC can see the printer. If it says "destination host unreachable" then it can't. I would imagine it can as it sounds like it is on the same subnet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Alex you are only adding confusion to the OP, they have already said the have a 2704 or Hub 0, and that they use iPhones/iPad's not PC's.

@Kittyd You need to connect your printer to the new router before you are able to see it with any apps. Not sure if your router has a WPS button, but if it has pressing it on the router and printer at the same time should allow it to connect.

If not you will need to follow the instructions in the manual.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I agree with @Mustrum.  When you set up your printer to work with your old router you told it the name of your wireless network (SSID) and the network password (sometimes called the 'wireless key').  Now you have a new router you have a new SSID and wireless key so you need to repeat the process.  The quickest and easiest (push-button) way to do this is using WPS but that doesn't always work.