Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi keeps dropping out with Toshiba laptop and Vista

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

WiFi keeps dropping out with Toshiba laptop and Vista

I have a problem with my WiFi connection to the router dropping out all the time.  I have checked all the settings and moved the laptop right on top of the router but it still happens.  Other laptops running XP do not have the same problem at all, so it is either Vista or it is a hardware fault in the Toshiba laptop.  The router is a new Linksys WAG54S.
Before I start spending money at a repair shop, can anyone suggest what else might be wrong ?  Undecided
9 REPLIES 9
samuria
Grafter

Re: WiFi keeps dropping out with Toshiba laptop and Vista

Some ideas
Have you got power options setup in Vista if so it could be going to sleep and dropping the connection.
Do all the other pc's stay connected when Vista drops the line?
When it drops does it re connect on its own and does it show a poor signal?
What encryption do you have set.
Is there any other networks near by on the same channel ?
does it drop when the other pc's are doing any heavy downloads transfers if the other pcs are struggling to get data and its resending to them a lot it may be to buzy to answer Vista
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Turn off IPv6 for a couple of years Smiley dunno what it is with Vista, but every network connection I have had issues with (wireless or otherwise) has been made better (though not always fixed) by turning that little blighter off.  I'm running with the idea that IPv6 inbuit support in Vista is yet another "I don't care if it's working right just sell the thing" approach from M$, or maybe they just figured that no one would be using it till they patched and repatched and then patched the patch.
It may not fix your problem, but it will help your connection anyways.
shermans
Pro

Thanks.  Here are the answes :
1. Power options are not set up when the laptop is running on mains - that means, the laptop stays alive all the time.  So I do not think it could be anything to do with that.
2. Yes, the other pc stays alive when the laptop drops the connection, but it is connected to the same router by ethernet.  The other laptops (belonging to visitors) connected by WiFi  all work without dropping the line (when they are here).
3. When the laptop drops, it will re-connect on its own if it can find the network.  The signal is strong.
4. Encryption is WPA
5. There are other networks (neighbours) showing up but when my connection drops, they are usually no longer visible either.  I have tried changing the channel to 9 but it makes no difference.
However, I Googled and found a recommendation to turn auto-tuning off, which I have done.  ('netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable').   Is this a safe thing to do ?
I will also try turning off IPv6.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

it's safe enough to turn off autotuning, M$ have even suggested it be done when situations arise that things "may not be compatable with Vista" - cause you know it's just not possable that Vist might not be the compatable one Roll_eyes
from what I have seen though, this is a verry common problem http://infopirate.org/wireless-drop-off-with-vista-basic for example has quite a lot of people with the same issue, as well as a couple of suggested solutions.
shermans
Pro

Thanks to all.  I am trying them all.  Turning off auto-tune seems to have improved things, but I am going to turn it back on temporarily and try some of the other things mentioned in the link - changing the firewall to allow echos from the router and maybe removing IPv6.  If they do not help, then I will turn auto-tune back off again.  I only want to try this to ascertain where the problem lies.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

It's probably worth disabling IP6 anyway as there is no need for it on at the moment.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've always found Vista to be a right pain at dropping wireless connections (as in, it does it all the time).
It does it on my laptop.
As a suffer of similar problems, I would be interested in advice as well.
shermans
Pro

OK, here's what I have tried  :
A. Power settings
Check that when using the mains electricity, your Power Saving is set to Maximum Performance.  If it is not, then the WiFi will turn itself off if it is not being used :
Click Start.  Type Power Options in the Start Search box, and then click Power Options in the Programs list.
Click Change plan settings under the power plan that is selected. For example, if the Balanced option is selected, click Change plan settings under Balanced.
Click Change advanced power settings.
In the Power Options dialog box, expand Wireless Adapter Settings, and then expand Power Saving Mode.
In the list that appears, click Maximum Performance, and then click OK.
B. Enabling echo-ing from the router.
Open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security > Inbound Rules
Enable "File and Printer Sharing (ECHO Request - ICMPv6-In)".
C. If that does not work, then turn off IPv6 altogether. 
Go to Network connections folder (can also be found by typing 'ncpa.cpl' into the Start menu search box).  Then right click your network, select the networking tab and unclick Internet Protocol Version 6.

D. Check that you have the latest WiFi driver
Control Panel >Device Manager
Click on the "+" for Network adapters
Go to your wireless device
Right click, it should say "Update driver software..."
Click search automatically for updated software
E. Turning off the auto-tuning
Click on the Start menu and type 'cmd'.
Type CTR+SHIFT+ENTER to tell the command prompt to open with elevated privileges
In the command prompt window, type 'netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable' and hit Enter
F. Try changing the channel on the router to 11, 9 or 6 to avoid any conflicting hardware.
I hope some of those help.  I am still experimenting but it does look hopeful.
I would appreciate any feedback on whether these work for anyone else.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: shermans

D. Check that you have the latest WiFi driver
Control Panel >Device Manager
Click on the "+" for Network adapters
Go to your wireless device
Right click, it should say "Update driver software..."
Click search automatically for updated software

That might not find the latest driver, you are best going to the manufacturers website to see if there is a newer one.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'