cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and hardwired connections

randpwar
Grafter

WiFi and hardwired connections

Bit of an embarrassing admission here  :-[, I hadn’t realised until the sprogs (and me!!) had ipod’s for Xmas that my router was supplying wifi  Embarrassed :-[. Does emitting wifi slow down the hardwired connection to the pc?
Thanks
Rob
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: WiFi and hardwired connections

No effect at all but make sure it is fully protected so that no one else can piggyback on to it
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks Jim. Yes I have set up a password for it now, it was unprotected previously. Wonder if that explains all the salesman that used to park up outside the house being absent since  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You might see one or two neighbours giving you dirty looks Wink Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I hope you hadn't ended up paying for extra usage and/or your account restricted because of all your bandwidth they've been using!
You just have to hope that no-one was downloading anything illegal over your connection because if so it will be your door that the authorities will be knocking on. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
randpwar
Grafter

I think I’m safe, though jelv’s last sentence is food for thought. This is the only month that I’ve had to buy extra usage, ironically owing to the very same ipod’s (oh yeah, and sprog no.1 has discovered his Nintendo DSI has wifi capabilities) being used so much so I’m fairly certain that no-one has been piggybacking; plus we’re fairly rural here and know and get on with the neighbours very well, I’m sure they would have said something. Once the initial burst of ipod novelty has died down I’ll see if I consistently go over the 10gb
hulls
Grafter

I hesitate to add to your usage woes, but my number 2 son added a bookmark to my Ipod touch: iphone.tvcatchup.com
You need to register and log on, but it's free, and has around 30 TV channels that you can watch on your ipod over wifi. (there are more available for desktop / laptop on the main site).  The channels seem to be running about a minute behind the main signal (thus I assume the "catchup" bit) and (I'm also assuming that) because it's not "live", there are no legal restrictions.
John
randpwar
Grafter

I might keep that one to myself John!  Wink
Found an excellent app called radiobox. Especially good for picking up the cricket commentary and not annoying SWMBO at the same time