cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi access via "The Cloud"

PeterBee
Dabbler

WiFi access via "The Cloud"

Hi, Does anyone know how to get access via Hotspots run by "The Cloud"? Many sites are run by BT OpenZone and these give an option of logging in using my PlusNet WiFi account details.  But it seems many "BT OpenZone" sites are actually run by "The Cloud".  These give an option of logging in with a BT OpenZone account but not a PlusNet account.  Is there a work-around? or is the number of sites available to us PlusNet customers somewhat restricted?
Peter.
3 REPLIES 3
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: WiFi access via "The Cloud"

BT OpenZone has a roaming agreement with The cloud, much is the same way that PlusNet has an agreement with BT OpenZone. Unfortunately PlusNet has no agreement with The cloud, so you can not use their hotspots with your PlusNet account.
As for a work around, sign up with The Cloud.
Chilly
PeterBee
Dabbler

Many thanks for your reply, Chilly.
I had a feeling that was going to be the situation; now I know :(.
P.
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chillypenguin
As for a work around, sign up with The Cloud.

Problem with that is they don't have a true PAYG package. That's the problem with the vast majority of providers. If you want occasional short period use PAYG you have to pay typically between £5 and £10 for a fixed hour (whether all used or not) or a 24 hour period, or pay a monthly sub. For just the odd few minutes use it's cheaper to just use GPRS/3G on a mobile.
The best thing about PlusNet's WiFi is you pay no subscription and just pay for the actual minutes you use. So if I wanted to just download my emails in less than a minute I pay a few pence only. There's hardly anyone else that does this.
However the major problem with this is PlusNet's WiFi just doesn't work, and that's if you can find a "true" BT OpenZone hotspot in the first place (and limited to UK only).