cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Printer over LAN

apjashley1
Grafter

WiFi Printer over LAN

I'm having a nightmare with my printer - it's an Epson SX235W. I'm using the stock Technicolor 582n router.
The printer is connected to the network by WiFi, and the computer is connected to the network by a LAN cable.
Set up this way, I can't print - the computer can't find the printer on the network.
However, if I connect the computer to the network by WiFi I can print fine, but this'll mean a slower Internet connection for the computer.
HELP!
20 REPLIES 20
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: WiFi Printer over LAN

Can't you connect your printer to the PC via USB, then both devices will run faster.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: apjashley1
However, if I connect the computer to the network by WiFi I can print fine....

And connect to the internet as well?  I'm just wondering if you accidentally set up an ad-hoc printer to computer direct connection
Quote from: apjashley1
.... but this'll mean a slower Internet connection for the computer.

Sorry, no, you've lost me there.  Why would that mean a slower connection?  As it happens, I just temporarily moved my router and connected to it by wireless.  I ran a speed test on the BT site (mainly to check the IP Profile) but the actual measured speed was the same as normal (i.e. when wired to the router).
apjashley1
Grafter

Nope it's definitely an infrastructure network and the SSID is the default Plusnet one (changing the SSID on the printer means connecting it by USB temporarily to send the new settings)
Using a USB cable is impractical as the printer is in a different part of the flat to the computer (which sits under the TV).
That's interesting that your speed tests for LAN and WiFi are similar but my experience has always shown a marked speed increase over a wired connection due to "wireless overhead"
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I just had a look at the product brochure and it says "The automatic Wi-Fi set-up3 makes configuring laptops and computers to print wirelessly extremely easy. Users don’t need to know their network settings or connect with a USB cable" (though this only applies to Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OS - not Windows XP), I do NOT know how this works but I can only assume it requires you to install and run specific software to set up the printer - have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the software (also check the Epson website for updated version)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
apjashley1
Grafter

Yes done that - something (router, printer or maybe the computer) doesn't realise the WiFi and LAN are the same network. I can't understand it.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Some routers have an option to isolate the wifi from the wired LAN; but that option would be off by default.  Your computer could not tell how your printer is connected (wired or wireless) and vice versa. 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@apjashley1,
Does the TG582n show both the printer and your computer in its device list ?
Login to the router, select Home Network and then Devices , you should get a display something like the attached.
From that display we can see what IP addresses have been allocated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

apjashley1
Grafter

Weirdly, putting the printer in the DMZ resolves the issue - I would like to work out a better fix though, in case I need the DMZ for something else
zedingrove
Grafter

OK I had all these problems and more with the SX535W.... Then when I upgraded to 7 from xp and could not find setup disk, trawled forums etc, and with snipits here and there, did away with lan and only using WiFi loaded windows Wifi on switched printer on, put in PN key, printer then found computer/computer did not find printer went into devices and printers, added printer and scanner with downloaded driver from Epson as disk does not support W7, few secs later printed test page 100%.
Does it slow connection down? - Technically speaking, I believe that if the printer is wireless AND your computer is wireless then yes, it could potentially slow down your internet connection.
However, that is assuming that both your computer and the printer are using bandwidth at the exact same time. Not likely, because you rarely print.
I think I can safely say here that if there was any slowdown it would be so small that it would be completely undetectable
This assuming you are using Vista/7 with XP remove all traces of Epson s/w follow above and when it asks for disk/driver search via net for a generic driver.
I spoke to a CS guy at Epson help and he informed me that to use wireless printing with XP need to manually configure installation with an ad-hoc connection which turned out to be wrong.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Anyone with an Epson Wi-fi printer and an Android phone (or one of those expensive ones) can also use an app (Epson iPrint) which will allow printing an scanning irect from your phone (or tablet I presume).  Just discovered this today, phone immediately found my printer an a test scan worked perfectly then offered me the option to email it so I sent it to my plusnet email - not bad.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

See my thread here....
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107251.0.html
starting off with the duff Epson.... moving onto a crubbish HP, and back to an Epson 445W.... which took two attempts through the Set Up to get the WIFI link recognised by the lapotp... ( this particular printer does not connect via USB cable )... It was not straight forward as to what the steps were, compared to what the paper diagrams on the setup said, compared to what actually happened.
When I switch on my Laptop, I get a message that not all wireless network connections could be made...... that is because the printer is switched off... It connects through the router... not direct to the laptop.... maybe your signal path between the router, and the printer, is poor, for signal strength, esp if it is in a different room... perhaps if you start off the printer setup with the printer close to the wireless router, it will do the initial connection and setup.... then you could see if it works in the other room..
If it doesn`t work in the "working position".... then perhaps you may need to move the router to a "mid position" between the printer and computer. to give equal signal strength to each....
apjashley1
Grafter

That's not it. The wifi signal is fine and it's a small flat. I can print as soon as I turn my computer to wifi instead of an Ethernet cable to the router.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Sorry .... I got the gist of your original post mixed up somehow, saying your computer could not find the printer on WIFI
apjashley1
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
@apjashley1,
Does the TG582n show both the printer and your computer in its device list ?

Here we go.