Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi PCI cards

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

WiFi PCI cards

Taking another dip into murky waters and going wifi for my mini home network, currently 2 PC's and soon to be a laptop.
So the router I'm going with is a Draytek Vigor 2900 ok costs but I want it to last me and its a trusted brand even since I've followed ADSL router reviews since dreaming of ADSL while on 56k in 2000.  Now I've been checking PCI cards for my 2 PC's as I'm seeing a lot of issues with older pc's and Vista with the current cards avaliable, so looking for a no nonsence card for both rather than having to have 2 Brands.
First PC has a old generic motherboard with a VIA KT333 using win2k, which it seems has the most issues with the current stock of cards due to its chipset.
Second is fairly new with a Asus Crosshair motherboard but using Vista so more problems due to Vista.
So I'm needing to buy two cards and want one Brand and not have to buy two due to legacy issues with my first pc and Vista Issues with my second.
So any recommendations?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: WiFi PCI cards

I hope you are aware the 2900 does not have a built-in ADSL modem as its designed for something like a cable modem connection (i.e. it connects to the cable modem which does the internet connection).
For a fully integrated unit you need the Vigor 2600G or the newer (but I find much worse with sync rates) 2700G.
As for wireless cards, I tend to stick with good brands like D-link or Belkin and have not had many issues as a result, although vista is still a problem even for those.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

A doh moment, thanks Peter for pointing it out.
I hope you are aware the 2900 does not have a built-in ADSL modem

hmm yep had ordered the wrong one, what I get for ordering online in the early morning, luckily Xmas so it hadn't been processed so quick cancelation today and ordered the right model after a coffee.
As for the PCI cards for my old PC most issues I found from reviews were stability issues eg slowing windows or good old blue screens for win2k and XP but all had VIA motherboards so little legacy support.  I will probablly still have to have wired connection for my old pc in that case, just wanted rid of the cabling.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
puddy
Grafter

did you get the draytek with built in voip ports?  seems a shame to waste all these free voip call minutes i get 240 minutes a month

puddy