Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi missing after power loss

FIXED
deerness
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Wi-fi missing after power loss

I have a Thomson router linked to an Asus Zen AiO running Windows 10 64 bit.  A couple of days ago someone inadvertently unplugged the PC whilst it was in use.  Upon rebooting, everything was normal EXCEPT no wi-fi connectivity!!  No wi-fi networks can be found.  Even though the router was not affected by the loss of power, I tried the usual rebooting processes a few times but still nothing.  I can still connect to Plusnet Broadband with a Hudl tablet and a Kindle, so the problem obviously lies within the Asus.

Asus support proved to be not very helpful, suggesting refreshing the IP configuration (didn't work) and disabling/enabling the network adapter (didn't work) and finally a factory reset of the PC (rather drastic)!!

I currently have the Asus connected to Plusnet Broadband via ethernet.  Any suggestions as to how I can retrieve the wi-fi will be gratefully received.

29 REPLIES 29
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Wi-fi missing after power loss

Could it have been accidentally switched off?  There is probably a function key that will do this and there may also be a 'BIOS' setting.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I recently had a similar problem with an Asus laptop except that the wired ethernet port locked me out as well. In the end the solution was to type network reset into the ask me anyting search box and follow the instructions. I understand that this strips out all the network drivers and data and does a clean reinstall of the default drivers. It worked for me but be aware you will have to re-enter your wifi password.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I too had a similar problem with an Asus laptop, holding down the Fn and F2 keys for about 10 secs should switch it on and let you see available networks. For a permanent fix, download the WiFi utility from the Asus site.

deerness
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I will get back to you tomorrow when I have had a chance to try out some of the suggestions.

Moz
Grafter

There has been an issue with a Windows 10 update. Don't power off but just restart your computer and it should reconnect. There is a further update that corrects this issue. 

deerness
Dabbler

Again, thank you for the responses.

ReedRichards - yes, indeed there is a BIOS setting for enabling/disabling wireless LAN.  It was showing as enabled but I disabled it, booted up then rebooted after enabling it again.  No effect.

Baldrick1 - I have carried out the network reset operation.  No effect.  Interestingly, unlike you, I was not asked for the router password during the procedure.  Anyway, the network is operational through ethernet, so the fault does not lie there.  It is something to do with wi-fi connectivity.

Mustrum - I looked around the Asus website but could not find an actual utility.  There was advice as to how to carry out the network reset procedure (see above).  Do  you have any idea what the utility was called?

Moz - the problem lies deeper than this.  Up until the power disconnection, wi-fi was and always had been working fine, so I don't think a Windows update was responsible.

Part of the problem here is that I don't know enough about network/wireless in order to have an informed opinion.  I take it that the network adapter is the only internal component to handle wireless connectivity - in my case this is a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter.  Its software is up-to-date and Windows states that it is working properly.  I wonder if it would be worth purchasing a wireless dongle?  For the sake of a tenner or so, it might help narrow down the problem if it worked.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@deerness the utility I found that worked for me was ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility which I found here https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X75A/HelpDesk_Download/ however you may need to look for the equivalent for your model Asus and operating system.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Most laptops allow you to turn the wireless adaptor on and off from Windows.  There is usually a function key that will do this, or a piece of software; some older machines had a physical on-off switch.  Every so often I am called-out be a client who has accidentally and unwittingly switched-off their wireless adaptor and I imagine this is what @deerness has done.  The replies from @Mustrum refer to the function key and a specific piece of software.

@Moz suggested it might be a recent problem caused by a Windows 10 update but the symptoms aren't right for that (you would see a wireless connection but not have an internet connection).

deerness
Dabbler

Thanks for your response @ReedRichards.  My PC is not a laptop but an All-in-One and does not have an on/off switch for wireless.  In device manager, my wireless adapter a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377, is showing as enabled and working properly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@deerness, what happens to your wireless connection when you remove the Ethernet cable? Some machines disable the wireless connection when a LAN cable is plugged in. I was just wondering if you’d tried this.

Also, are you able to run a Windows Command window and enter :

ipconfig /all

Then post the results here?

deerness
Dabbler

@Anonymous Unplugging the ethernet merely removes that connection.  "No wi-fi networks found" is still displayed.  The ipconfig results are:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-R9461V3
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-C6-3B-62-A3-A1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-62-66-BA-81-EB
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::28c3:9929:787e:847e%3(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 January 2017 07:50:00
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 January 2017 07:50:00
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 67658342
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-06-81-B9-08-62-66-BA-81-EB
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-C6-3B-62-A3-A0

Tunnel adapter isatap.lan:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:2cac:585:af42:de85(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2cac:585:af42:de85%10(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 486539264
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-06-81-B9-08-62-66-BA-81-EB
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Anonymous
Not applicable

@deerness - Looking at that output I see that there are no DHCP assigned values bound to the Wireless interface, which explains the lack of connectivity or course, can I suggest that (with the LAN cable out) you go to the network settings and disable the interface, (right click and select disable)

Then right click it again and select Properties and from there disable the (TCP/IPv6) check box then double click the (TCP/IPv4) entry (or select it’s properties). In the general tab select the 'Use the following IP address' and enter:

IP Address       = 192.168.1.88
Subnet           = 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway  = 192.168.1.254

And for the DNS enter :

Click OK then click close, then double click on the interface in the list to enable it. Does this get you access to the internet?

deerness
Dabbler

Thanks @Anonymous.  I will try that later this morning and let you know the results.

deerness
Dabbler

@Anonymous Tried your suggestions and was really confident that they would work, but unfortunately not.  Still no wi-fi networks found.  Is it safe to leave the amended settings as they are or do they need to revert to the way they were?

Bearing in mind that other devices (Kindle, Hudl) are successfully connecting to Plusnet Wireless through the same router, are there any settings within the Thomson Gateway that might help identify the problem?