cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi footprint

wjclarke98
Dabbler

Wi Fi footprint

I have a D-Link 2640B Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router. I cannot detect a signal from it more than 2 metres from the equipment. It is impossible to log on anywhere else in the house except the room where the router is situated. I am receiving signals from my neighbours houses (all encrypted) but not my own.  Has anyone got any ideas how to increase the power of the signal.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Wi Fi footprint

just change to another channel
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Place your router fairly high off the floor; make sure the aerial is vertical.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

Most router have somewhere a power setting for wireless were you can reduce the power check you power levels it will be under wireless somewhere
wjclarke98
Dabbler

Thanks for the three members who offered advice.  I have tried raising the antennae but that did not improve the situation..  I may sound stupid but when you say change channels, what is a channel and how do I change it.  Also, does anyone know how to find a setting to increase the power of the wi fi broadcast.
Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Basically there are 11 separate wireless channels, I dont know the setting on your logger, but some one will pop up and tell you, ideally you want to get as far away from your neighbours as possible, it is usual to use chan 1, 6 and 11 but you can use any in a busy area all channels are probably used
cwinters
Grafter

The channel is one of a number of alternative wireless frequencies that the device can transmit. The suggestion was made to change channels because it's possible that someone else nearby is using the same one and it'll interfere.
If you look in the DLink user manual you'll find instructions as to how to access the DLink's settings via your browser - probably by using the web address http://192.168.1.1 you will get there. Look for wireless settings under the setup menu and you'll see an option for the channel choice. The other settings will be there but I suspect they're already at the best settings.
Other suggestions are to check that the antenna not close to electrical equipment that might interfere. and is plugged/screwed in properly.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: wjclarke98
I have a D-Link 2640B Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router. I cannot detect a signal from it more than 2 metres from the equipment. It is impossible to log on anywhere else in the house except the room where the router is situated. I am receiving signals from my neighbours houses (all encrypted) but not my own.  Has anyone got any ideas how to increase the power of the signal.

I think that if it is such a short distance as 2 metres then the problem lies with the router.
Since the router can be set to use different broadcast powers, check this.
The attached screenshot is taken from the manual on the mini-cd that comes with the router.
This will also show you how to change channels.

wjclarke98
Dabbler

Thanks to all that have helped.  I have changed channels, re-sited the router and ensured that the power is set to HIGH. I have also stood on one leg but there is no improvement beyond 2 metres from the router.  I am going to buy a different antenna to see if I can improve matters.  Thanks again to those of you who took the time and trouble.  I am very grateful.
VileReynard
Hero

Since your neighbours signals have to tunnel through brick(?) walls, but yours can't make it through a couple of metres of fresh air, I'd be inclined  to
a) Return it for a replacement or
b) Try an alternative router
If this is a "free" Plusnet router, they are quite good at sending replacements.