cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi constantly dropping out and using Amazon Fire Stick

chrisdbarrow

Wi Fi constantly dropping out and using Amazon Fire Stick

We used to be with Talk Talk and changed upon recommendation mainly for better speed. Now wishing we had not. Our WiFi is constantly dropping out all around the house.
Besides the supplied router (installed by the nice BT man), we have TP Link connections to elsewhere in the house (the walls being thick). We find that one end of the house will have wifi and the other end will not but not always, and this sometimes includes beside the router having no wifi, while the other end does.
We have an Amazon Fire Stick connected to the TV in the living room, with a TP Link in sight, and another Fire Stick in the kitchen again with a TP Link in sight.
We used to be able to have both Fire Sticks  running at once. Now we cannot, and sometimes neither will work. We lose wifi all the time, going from full bars to nothing in a second.
I waited 40 mins on the end of the phone and spoke to no-one, and now the online chat is not available - so I am not impressed.
Christmas was rubbish from a wifi and tv perspective therefore.
Any ideas?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wi Fi constantly dropping out and using Amazon Fire Stick

chrisdbarrow

Thanks.
I will try SSID, though I doubt it will be the effect of neighbours - we don't have many as we are out in the country! Hope its easy to find and use as I am no techno!
I had been hoping that a PlusNet person might have replied , which is what I have seen on other posts - so am once again further unhappy with the service that we are getting from Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Chris,
A warm welcome to the forums.
If I've read your post correctly, you are using your own TP router.  In that case it's wiri performance is nothing to do with PlusNET.  You cannot even use the oft cited reservations about the poor wifi performance of the PlusNET supplied routers.
I would suspect that the kindle fire needs more wifi speed that your TP router can deliver, but what it has delivered previously was adequate for computer Internet access.
The program you are looking for is inSSIDer - V3 is old, but free and will do what you need.  Alternatively there's Acrylic's wifi analyser, though that needs MS Net 4.5 installed.
I'll ask the mods to move this thread to the hardware forum, where you might get better help from the community members who know their hardware inside out.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrisdbarrow

the router that we have is the one that was supplied by Plusnet.
chrisdbarrow

The TP link is the booster that boosts the signal further down the house.
But even in the room that the Plusnet Router is, and even right beside it sometimes, our devices will not connect to the wifi.
SteadVex
Grafter

from my own experience the TP link extenders can be picky in the way they work, and depending on the way its setup can effectively Half the Wi-Fi speed and double the latency, unless you are using one that is plugged into the router via Ethernet and then creates its own SSID
out of interest, do you still have your old TalkTalk router? if you post the model of the router you have I'm sure some people here will be able to point you in the direction of setting that one up to use with PlusNet