cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi access via BT Openzone hangs

markclewett
Hooked

Wi-Fi access via BT Openzone hangs

Last Thursday I tried to use Wi-Fi at a BT Openzone hotspot, the BT Openzone welcome page was displayed and I could choose to login via the PlusNet login page.  Having done that I got a "login successful" page, but when I clicked "Connect to the Internet" it just went back to the BT Openzone welcome page.  I ended up just going around in circles.
I have an active PAYG Wireless Broadband account and have managed to login successfully in the past.
Was this a "one-off" problem on that day - how can I avoid this happening again?
9 REPLIES 9
Mand
Grafter

Re: Wi-Fi access via BT Openzone hangs

Hi there,
We've been playing around trying to replicate this issue this morning, and managed it once out of around 10 tries.
We'll continue to investigate but if it does happen again can you let us know when and where please?
markclewett
Hooked

Thanks for your reply.
Last Thursday I was at Euston station - I'll probably try there again later on in the week.
Interesting that you said it happened 1 in 10 times for you - is that normal?  Do you know why it happens at all?
markclewett
Hooked

I tried it again at Euston yesterday and it worked first time.  I guess it was just a temporary glitch...
Lovejoy
Grafter

I've had similar problems i.e. not being able to get to BT login page. I contacted BT and they said that they are getting quite a few complaints about it, evidently its caused by a broken link but as the sites were not theirs they were unable to fix it. All they could suggest was that I should use a BT hotspot.
Yer right! like I'm gonna go miles just to use one of theirs!
I emailed "The Cloud" and they never replied.
I found the whole thing unreliable, living in the country and travelling abroad, and now use GPRS through my Orange PAYGo mobile.
An extra piece of information...... the guy who I spoke to also suggested I ditch the BT programme and use the windows one as its far better.
TheFixer
Dabbler

I was in a Ramada Jarvis in Gatwick (Thursday night 9/8/07) and I couldn't get beyond the PlusNet login then just looping on the proceed page.
TimClement

I find myself at Liverpool Street station about once per week. I have never managed to get past the PlusNet login yet (about 2 months).
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Tried last night at a BT OpenZone hotspot in Guildford on my N80 and the PlusNet login page link only resulted in a blank page.
Gave up and tried tmobile and The Cloud in Starbucks but they wanted far too much money.
Ended up using 3G via Vodafone PAYG at £1 capped per day. Far easier and cheaper than most WiFi hotspots!
Only success I've ever had with hotspots is in the US, and they're a heck of a lot cheaper or have more flexible packages (plus they have free wifi in many places). Sadly PlusNet don't roam.
deadkenny
Rising Star

Hi,
I tried using a BT OpenZone hotspot at Heathrow (Terminal 4) on the 24th Jan 2008, and got the PlusNet login page no problem, logged in with my details and it gave me the welcome page, but then I couldn't browse any other page. Any URL I used from then just dumped me back on the welcome page.
I'm using WiFi PAYG on a Nokia N80.
Cheers,
Tim.
deadkenny
Rising Star

Same again at Heathrow around end of Feb.
So far I've never been able to log on to any BT OpenZone hotspot via PlusNet on my Nokia N80, even if I can see the PlusNet login page.
It's essentially useless.