cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Phones

Kevin
Rising Star

Wi-Fi Phones

Are there such things as domestic cordless phones (or whatever) that can talk to each other over a wi-fi network?
i.e. each phone has a wi-fi access point built in, so doesn't require a hard wire connection.
I'm not wanting to use them to connect to the outside PSTN, but simply to work as an internal, wireless, extension
so that I can call someone at the far end of the building where there isn't a normal extension phone, but there is Wi-Fi.
Kevin.
17 REPLIES 17
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Wi-Fi Phones

Google.... PMR  (edit....  PMR RADIO )....  and see what Wiki has to say... then.. go to ebay and see what PMR`s are suitable for you

PMR  ( a bit like walkie talkie sets that the kids used to use,...but better )...  Range can be up to 5 Km.. or more... depending on manufacturers spec. ( and price, of course ).
Kevin
Rising Star

That is an option, but I was hoping for something phone related, where there is the possibility of adding more phones as and when...
Kevin.
shutter
Community Veteran

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Motorola-10km-TLKR-T80-Extreme-QUAD-Long-Range-Walkie-Talkie-PMR-446-R...
This is a set of 4...
If you read the spec. you will see there are quite a number of "channels" available, plus "sub-channels"  so you could start off with 4 and then buy another 4 and use whatever channels you wanted.

The T80 Extreme model allows you to create groups, so you can make calls to your whole team or a group of people.
  Every member of the group has an ID and can see the name of the group on the screen display. 
This version comes with vibrate alert so you can work without distractions.  The voice activation function makes it even more practical.

Key features
   Call ID
   Group calls
   8 PMR446 channels with 38 sub-channels and 121 codes
   Led torch
   Water resistant
   10 call tones
   Back-lit LCD display
   Headset port
   Scan/Monitor function
   Keypad lock
   Mute function
   Battery level alert
   Automatic channel change
   Vibrate alert
   Stop watch
   Rechargeable NiMh batteries (included) or 4 x AAA batteries (not included)
   Weight: 140g without batteries
   Size: 57 x 171 x 40mm

Kevin
Rising Star

A drawback of battery driven devices is ensuring they are always charged. As the idea is to have a "always available without needing to check things" system, I can forsee arguments.
"But you were supposed to check" "No I wasn't, you were...." Grin
But many thanks for your help Shutter.
Kevin.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Walkie talkies aside, there are WiFi phones out there, but to be honest, a simple DECT phone with paging & intercom built in is all you need really, and you can get long-range DECT phones that will work over quite the distance in large buildings too... Smiley
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

As above, most Dect phone systems will do what you want, here is an example for Panasonic lots of options from them and others.
shutter
Community Veteran

Batteries are re-chargble types... ( no supplied with the ebay seller.....)... but from the Motorola spec sheet
http://www.motorolasolutions.com/content/dam/msi/docs/business/products/consumertwo-wayradios/t80e/_...
Battery Life using the NiMh batteries they supply is 16 hours....
so if you bought some good quality 2500 or larger capacity batteries.. I am sure they would last a working day, and a bit more.... then put them on the charger overnight.. ready for the next day....
Kevin
Rising Star

Unfortunately the building has many thick walls and DECT phones won't cut it, hence why I was enquiring about Wi-Fi phones.
I know you can get them for phoning out to the PSTN, but hadn't seen any that would work on a local network.
Kevin.
matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not strictly what you're after, but you could get a few cheap Android / Windows Phone handsets, connect them to the WiFi (no SIM cards required) and have them all running their own Skype accounts. The Skype calls will direct connect (so won't go out on to the internet).
Obviously that depends on your budget, and if budget allows you could set up a mini SIP server (think Raspberry Pi budget) so it can be done without any "internet" connectivity at all.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about using a networked VoIP DECT base-station at each end, each with an associated wireless DECT handset.
Then configure each base-station with separate free "Sipgate basic" accounts.
You could then call each way for free (as Sipgate to Sipgate), also both handsets could also make cheap external calls if necessary.
Cool
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Kevin
Unfortunately the building has many thick walls and DECT phones won't cut it, hence why I was enquiring about Wi-Fi phones.
I know you can get them for phoning out to the PSTN, but hadn't seen any that would work on a local network.

That's why I also suggested long-range DECT, which have more powerful transceivers that can get through large buildings and thick walls with ease, Panasonic does some pretty good ones, heck, even their standard DECT phones are pretty damned good at long-range-through-thick-walls service from experience of my working in a computer shop that resided inside a thick-walled ex-church... Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

@ twocvbloke.... so ... the motorola PMR`s have a range of 10K.... would they be less effective than DECT phones  in the same location ?    seems a bit weird that .... perhaps mountain rescue teams should look into using DECT phones, instead of PMR.  Cheesy
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Yes, it's great having potentially private conversations broadcast over 10km on an unsecured radio frequency that anyone with an SDR can decode... Roll_eyes
I suggested DECT phones because phones were what were asked about, not walkie talkies...
shutter
Community Veteran

Using a DECT phone to a DECT phone, is just the same as using "walkie talkies"  !  Roll_eyes      I am sure the O.P. realises that... and probably does not need "secure" communications, ( are DECT phones secure  ?  ...... don`t think so... )  to call

"Mary, Can you come to the office, and bring a box of samples, and the invoices, please"....
I`m sure that industrial spies will be sitting around in their car all day long, just waiting for that interesting piece of information.....  Cheesy