cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Windows so stupid?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Why is Windows so stupid?

My laptop runs Win XP Home simply because that is the license that came with it. Quite often, maybe once a month I will use it to test a fresh installation of some Linux distro. Then enivitably I will need Windows and all usual applications back on it for some reason. Most of the times I do this Windows setup freaks out and locks up when it cannot understand the Linux partitions on the disk. I then usually have to run DBAN on the disk before Windows will install again! Anyone else sufer from this problem?
9 REPLIES 9
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Why is Windows so stupid?

create a second partition for your linux distros
install GRUB
learn how to use grub
or google "lin'n'win"
problemo solvedo
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Or buy another hard disk and swap them.  Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

I quite often use the laptop under Windows basically as a removeable hard disk to give stuff to a friend. The disk is opnly 40Gb (always partitioned 10/30). I don't want another partition on there using space when I am using Windows.
As for buying another hard disk, don't think that is a good idea. I am quite proud of the fact that after 4 years my laptop is in mint condition. Don't want to take a screwdriver to it on a regular basis. I have already done it once to upgrade from 256Mb RAM to 1Gb a while back.
techguy
Grafter

Have to agree with the advice already given Sean, best to keep Linux on its own partition.
Also remember that MS is anti-linux (for obvious reasons) so they are unlikely to write the Windows setup program to co-exist with Linux are they?
The Linux partition should appear as a FAT partition unless you are using another file system but Windows will of course install NTLDR as the bootload so yes you need to configure GRUB (and I need to learn how to configure it too  Smiley as I've always zapped all partitions, let Windows do its thing and then let the Linux setup resize the NTFS partition and install GRUB.)
Time for a bigger hard disk?
seanbranagh
Grafter

I know that I have those different options but doesn't answer the original question. Why can Windows setup not just run and say "Unknown Partition" like it does sometime depending on what Linux distro is on there.
Have been considering a larger disk for the laptop but with alrteady 1.2Tb of disk space on my network I cannot really justify it.
techguy
Grafter

See above for answer to your question Sean.
techguy
Grafter

Redmond would rather you didn't run Linux and would probably like to see it (and any other rival OS) obliterated from the face of the earth so it probably does the same with all of them.
samuria
Grafter

The simple way is to use Acronis and create an image of windows so every time you want to put it back on you can just reimage 20 min slater your up and running. You should be able to create the image on dvd or on a network drive depending on the size
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
Why can Windows setup not just run and say "Unknown Partition" like it does sometime depending on what Linux distro is on there.

Possibly because the Linux installs are setting up the partition type as one that Windows considers it's own.
Quote from: Sean
Have been considering a larger disk for the laptop but with alrteady 1.2Tb of disk space on my network I cannot really justify it.

Does your laptop support booting from USB (or eSATA if your laptop has it)  drives? If so you could install Linux on an external drive.
Mike