cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my Inbox emptied overnight?

Grannylonglegs
Dabbler

Why has my Inbox emptied overnight?

I was keeping important messages and they've disappeared!
When composing a message, do I always have to 'save to draft' in case it doesn't get sent?  It is really annoying to write a long message then lose it!
On the whole, Virgin Media was more consistent in their service (although expensive), I have been thrown out by Plusnet more than once, losing the server...
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Why has my Inbox emptied overnight?

Hi there,
Where do you store your important messages?  Is this in webmail?  If so, where do you store them?
Denzil
Grafter

Also, losing the connection might be a Plusnet problem, but is more likely to be down to the BT line and equipment at the exchange, or even your internal wiring. Do you know how to get the line statistics from your router? See <a href="http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php">here</a> for instructions for many common routers. If you can post the numbers here it might give us some clues. 
Grannylonglegs
Dabbler

Sorry, but my technical know-how does not enable me to sort this out.
I have used Virgin Media without a hitch, through this BT line, for many years.
Squirrel Mail is giving me a few problems, like my messages in my inbox disappearing whilst I am logged off!
Please advise me how I can retrieve these, if it happens again.
Thanks
Denzil
Grafter

Are you losing all the emails, or just old ones, or what? You should really be downloading your important emails and keeping them on your own PC. You can use Outlook Express to do this, or whichever email program comes with your PC. Webmail is not guaranteed long term storage. I'm sure Jameseh or someone can explain more of the details.
Are you getting regular disconnections? We will need the router statistics to try to work out what might be happening with the connection. If you tell us the make and model of your router/modem then we can give you some instructions.
Grannylonglegs
Dabbler

I am using the SpeedTouch 1-Port Router SUPPLIED BY PLUSNET
Are you saying that I am unwise to leave messages in my inbox after I have read them, in case they disappear?  I regularly clear out unwanted messages so I am not overloading the system.
I also have instances where I have typed a reply to a message then, when I click on 'send' I am thrown off the Squirrel Mail and lose my message completely - very annoying.
I realise that I am using a cheap ISP but I expect the basic service to be reliable.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it is nothing to do with your router, if you want to save them, dont use web mail, what operating system are you using?
Denzil
Grafter

Webmail stores the messages on Plusnet's computers. Someone from PN will have to explain exactly what the policy is, but older messages can be deleted as part of their own housekeeping. As I said, if you want to be sure you keep important messages, you need you keep them on your own computer, using the email program that comes with it.  if you are not sure how to set it up then there are some step by step guides <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/index.shtml?supporta=emailsetupguides">here</a>.
If you are losing the connection it is just as likely to be a problem with the wiring in your house, or the condition of the telephone lines, as a Plusnet fault. That is why I asked for the connection statistics from  your router. It will record some technical information, like how strong the broadband signal is and so on, that should help to narrow down what is happening.
I'm not personally familiar with this router, but I have looked up some instructions which should work. Start your web browser and type this into the address bar at the top.
http://192.168.1.254/
This should take you to the router's setup pages. Click "Broadband Connection", then "DSL Connection", then "Details". At this point you will be asked for a username and password. Hopefully you will have changed it, but the default is User Name = Administrator , Password = blank.
Copy the figures you see there and paste them into a reply.
If you have any difficulty with this you might be better off calling the support team on 0845 140 0200. Someone should be able to explain exactly what you need to do.