cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my downloads timeout?

paulo
Grafter

Why do my downloads timeout?

I have been trying for several days to download the 'Avast AV' program but the download stops and I get a message saying "Internet Explorer cannot download..file name..The operation timed out".  The timeout is not constant and can vary from 5 to 30 mins or so.
The 'Avast' file is 89MB and although my download speed is fairly slow it has never prevented me from downloading much larger file successfully. I am useing Win XP Pro, Inernet Express.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
I can resist everything except temptation.
33 REPLIES 33
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Why do my downloads timeout?

I cannot help to explain why your downloads time out, sorry, but this could well be a useful solution:
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
paulo
Grafter

Unfortunately 'Avast' like other security programs do not allow the use of download managers/accelerators etc. for security reasons.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Have you tried downloading the file from a different location, where are you downloading the file from  ?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What AV are you currently using? Have you tried disabling it?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pengyou
Grafter

Quote from: paulo
Unfortunately 'Avast' like other security programs do not allow the use of download managers/accelerators etc. for security reasons.

That is not true - I used the download manager mentioned earlier to download avast! without any trouble at all.
paulo
Grafter

Have been trying to download from CNET as all download links seem to end up there.  Think this may be Avasts choosen distributer.
Yes have diabled my AV..
pengyou..What download manager did you use?
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

I see you say "The timeout is not constant and can vary from 5 to 30 mins or so" You don't loose internet connection at all when it times out do you ?
Do you get any time outs when downloading other software ?
Try using another browser.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: pengyou

That is not true - I used the download manager mentioned earlier to download avast! without any trouble at all.

Pretty sure I was using Free Download Manager with Avast (Free) on Windows 7 (32 bit) for a while with no problems.
[Edit] Added 'Free' to clarify Avast version previously used.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Have been trying to download from CNET as all download links seem to end up there.  Think this may be Avasts choosen distributer.

You can also download from the Avast website here http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
Regards
Mike

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

IE has or had issues with downloading large files, not used it in years but it always had that issue with it when I did use it.  So as IT works suggests another browser should help
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
paulo
Grafter

Here is where we go round the loop!  Tried downloading from Avasts site and that diverts you to Cnet (that timesout)  Tried downloading new brousers from Firefox and Opera but in both cases I gert the message
"Windows found problem with this file.  Unknown publisher.  This file blocked because it does not have a valid signature."
(Mike I.T. Works)....I do not loose internet connection.  Not tried downloading other files since having this problem as I have uninstalled my AV with the hope of trying Avast AV.
Any more ideas PLEASE as I feel my CP is ganging up on me!
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Sounds like it's trying to open the file up automatically for you. Try right-clicking on the download file link and save it to a location on your HDD.
That's RPM to you!!
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi paulo,
Do you have an alternative computer that you could test your connection with?  Or do you have a smartphone or a friend with a laptop to see if you get the same problem?  This would confirm if the issue is with your connection or your computer.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the default setting for Internet Explorer disallows running from the download dialogue of executable files that do not have a valid publisher signature. However one can save the file to disk by clicking the save button (instead of run) in the download control dialogue.
Once download completes one can double-click the file to install the application as normal.
I've just downloaded Firefox 15.0.1 using IE9 on Vista to verify saving to disk works. Didn't follow up with an install since I already have it.
David