cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Dell have to be oddballs?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Why do Dell have to be oddballs?

With their back to front motherboards on the wrong side of the case and without PS/2 ports. I like working at PC's because they are all the same and simple to work at. Do Dell just want to be different?
If a motherboard went bad the computer would need a new case also not to mention a power supply as the Dell power supply has cables designed at exactly the right length for their board and not long enough to reach the connector on many standard ATX boards.
7 REPLIES 7
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Why do Dell have to be oddballs?

I'm guessing it's not a serious question, but in case it is - the answer is that you only have one vendor you can buy spares from.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

It's a model that Compaq also used to use  (and ICL - remember them?) as it ensured that they also got all the repair business.  But business has moved on and I'm not convinced that the model holds true any more.  PC's in real terms are now 'cheap as chips' and so if spares are more expensive because of this protectionism, then it makes it more likely that the PC is replaced rather than fixed?
Looking at having to upgrade 40+ PC's to cope with Windows 7  - same debate.  Older memory is about 4 X the current price per Gig similarly for IDE drive upgrades.  Expensive business for a charity.
No we do not buy Dell Cheesy
M  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

seanbranagh
Grafter

I actually quite like Dell to work on aside from the the above issues. Driver support is good. Much better than HP/Compaq where you can find the drivers easily but you will need to set aside a weekend to download even the smallest files from ftp.hp.com. I am convinced they are hosting the server on an ADSL connection like myself  Grin
I think Packard Bell machines would be my favourite to work on. Even custom built machines are a pain in the backside as the person never has original driver disks which always means examining the inside of the machine to find the range of drivers from a variety of sources.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
I actually quite like Dell to work on aside from the the above issues.

(sorry for the late reply but this needed to be said) Smiley
You sir, are a madman.

Dell drivers are absolute wish-wash, AND they do driver locking! so you cant put in the proper driver over the top of the dell driver. Dirty hacking windows down so they can bundle their junk and make it harder to remove? Hmm..
HP/Compaq have always been good to me, got an AP400 in the garage in peices (poorly mobo everything else functions...  BIOS was basically windows 3, over 4 floppies Smiley ) Sad but i LOVED that machine, dual P3.. awesome server... may have to tinker when i get time over summer Smiley
Tell you who are pretty good, Medion (dont laugh) Their supports pretty good, and ive got a machine (intel 640, 3.2ghz) and its gotta be 4 yrs old? only thing done to it is abit more RAM. Still runs like a beaut, and on win7 Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Dell drivers are absolute wish-wash, AND they do driver locking! so you cant put in the proper driver over the top of the dell driver.

I've lost count of the number of Dell systems I've worked on and I've NEVER encountered that.
I'd like to see an example and an explanation of how they do it.
Lurker
Grafter

I'm another one who has had far more issues with non-Dell kit than I ever have had with Dell kit.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
I've lost count of the number of Dell systems I've worked on and I've NEVER encountered that.
I'd like to see an example and an explanation of how they do it.

Well, how its done im not 100% on, i do remember trying to upgrade graphics drivers on a dell laptop, the install of the intel downloads driver would fail, bringing up an error message requesting i download the driver from dell - the driver on dell was *very* outdated (okay its not the fastest laptop in the world, but it would run the game i was trying to get to run)
I remember the driver went in fine after uninstalling chipset + graphics drivers, and using the correct new ones from intel.
Swings and roundabouts i guess? ive never had *new* Dell kit to play with, its either old *or* a laptop from their cheaper range, could be the reason i suppose..? but yeah, anyones laptop that ive looked at (and ive looked at quite a few) dell have always been one of the most awkward to deal with  Shocked
(e.g. inspiron 1100, and the GX260 spring to mind)

edit: oh, and a Dell bios is the only time ive ever seen (in person)...