cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why bother buying content legitimately?

CX
Grafter

Why bother buying content legitimately?

I fired up iTunes today, to download the latest episode for a TV series that has already been paid for (season pass) to be confronted with this message:
This computer is already associated with an Apple ID
If you download past purchases with your Apple ID, you cannot auto-download or download past purchases with a different Apple ID for 90 days.

Are you frigging kidding me Apple? So because I happen to have a primary iTunes account, and a second one (perfectly reasonable scenario), I now cannot download my paid-for purchases unless I wait 90 days? I'm honestly struggling to see any logic in this whatsoever, short of hoping that I'll buy a new Mac to set up the additional iTunes account on.
Perhaps the better option is to just download everything from elsewhere (the download speeds are likely better than what Apple can manage). Or buy everything second-hand off eBay or Amazon. Because it seems doing the right thing is simply another excuse to screw you over.
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Why bother buying content legitimately?

Why did you give money to Apple?
If you want content, you should pay the content provider.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

What about a different USER account?
Mind you never used itunes never will.
CX
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Why did you give money to Apple?
If you want content, you should pay the content provider.

When it's not available anywhere but iTunes, you don't have much choice.
Perhaps a different user account would work - it seems logical that it would (in spite of comments to the contrary I found on the Apple forum). I ended up authorizing another physical PC for the second account. You can then download on that one and copy the files across.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've stayed away from Apple products other than my daughters Ipod touch she got for Christmas. I find using it very confusing and the desktop software over the top and difficult to use. I suppose if you are more familiar with their products it would be more intuitive to use. One reason I stay away from their products other than obviously everything they sell costs far more than an equivalent and arguably better product without an "I" in front of it (try telling that to a 10 y.o) is for the reason you are stating here. People are always complaining that you can't do this or that without doing this or paying for that. They seem to get all their stuff took off them or the music they have legally paid for doesn't work anymore because they didn't give apple some more money.
Seems to me when you have an apple device in your home it's a constant battle of wits to stop it taking over your life or bear minimum shafting you. My first experience (on Christmas Day  🐵 was Apple not letting me do anything with the device until I had either forged my daughters DOB to make her 18, which I'd have preferred apple to know they were dealing with a ten year old! Or set up an admin account in my name which I didn't want and give them my credit card details before you could even download the myriad of free stuff. Shocked Try getting an Apple voucher on Christmas Morning while an over excited ten year old just wants to play the same games as her mates!
Anyway I digress, Apple products are not for me. They seem far too corporate money making machine for my liking rather than giving their customers the best experience.