Did you mean: 

Why I hate windows take 2

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Why I hate windows take 2

Well having struggled to love win 10, I blew it away at the w/e. Cheesy

Games WILL NOT RUN/CRASH on win10. CrazyCrazy2

So I put my win7 sp1 disk in (ok USB) and booted, installed and then found I couldn't get any web sites/update failed etc,etc. Why 'cause the security certs had expired. So just need to update the certs, single kb download yes?

NO! this is not applicable to your system or some such tripe.

So grab a newer win7/sp1 disk from one of the legal sites (with some updates installed)

At least it installs/updates though it needs a GB of updates! And 4 REBOOTS WHY M$????

Get NV drivers installed and re-install Steam and Origin.

At last I can play the games I have bought (LAST WEEK!) OK it is NOT a new (2016/17) game, but it is new to me.

ON W10 it would start then drop back to desktop with no errors. Forums were FULL of people with same problem. Solution was to disable AVG but I didn't have AVG!

So no more rubbish like one-drive installing itself even though I said I didn't want it.

Give me Linux any day, at least I can have a fully working pc in a few minutes not a day+.

26 REPLIES 26
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Why I hate windows take 2

I hate to say this but one of the advantages of Windows 10 over Windows 7 is that you can do a fresh install of Windows 10 and it only needs a few updates so it's relatively quick.  Of course this is Microsoft's fault for not issuing a second service pack for Windows 7.   

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@HairyMcbiker wrote:

At least it installs/updates though it needs a GB of updates! And 4 REBOOTS WHY M$????

Give me Linux any day, at least I can have a fully working pc in a few minutes not a day+.

You actually update? - Good lord, I got my big rig a year or two back and the first update it did disabled my desktop widgets which i was fond of. That just confirmed what i already knew and practiced with my other machines - don't bother updating! It causes more hassle than its worth. Service packs yes I used to install SP2 with WinXP but i'd never bother with individual updates. I had too much hassle with them years ago.

As for linux.. working yes maybe but can you use it for everyday things that you can with windows? Hate windows as much as you want, nearly all consumer grade hardware is designed for it and linux trails miles behind when it comes to drivers for new usb devices etc.

Linux is known for being a great system if you know your computers inside out but the average joe does not and thus windows is far more suited to them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I cant understand how your games crash win10 ??  all mine run ok even my old ones 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
HairyMcbiker
All Star

@7up Re linux. Well I can boot from a Live usb, use all the functionality, including scanner & printer. Internet and office stuff. No knowledge needed. This is with a printer & scanner that M$ doesn't support anymore (last driver was XP). Boot Win 7, no internet as no nic driver, no sound same. No printer/scanner as too old.
I tend to give pc's updates as needed, usually only security ones. W10 didn't allow that either.

@rongtw Well the games I have been TRYING to play:
Bioshock HD (just released), crashes on saves 50% of the time.
Dragon Age:Inquisition will not even load, gets to loading screen and drops back 100% of the time. (Only got that last week from Game. 32GB download!)

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

have a look here for dragon age http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/Dragon-Age-Windows-10-problem/td-p/4716545

as for bioshock it has always had problems with windows even in win7 , i just tried it after reinstalling steam on my win10 insider preview , ran with no problem ?Huh

have you read the Steam forums see the various fixes there ?

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Read my 1st post. I went through many many forums with "fixes" that didn't!
Boishock HD (the remastered version not the original) has issues in 10. You can play for hours with no problem then suddenly when it is saving as you move to a new area or you try to manually save it crashes.

Tried the remove licence, re-install all the drivers, remove AV, stand on one foot facing south singing "Whistling Dixie" NONE works.
W7 worked first time and I have been playing for several hours now.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Seems I am not alone:
On El Reg this morning (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/02/microsoft_creators_update_windows_10_reboots)
"If you're fed up with Windows 10 downloading updates, installing them, and rebooting at awkward times all by itself, you're not alone."

And on the Inq: (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3005602/windows-7-market-share-rises-at-the-expense-of-wind...)

7up
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
W7 worked first time.

And you dislike windows for what reason? Grin

HairyMcbiker
All Star

For the simple reason that M$ basically FORCED me and many others to "upgrade" to W10. I have spent many days waiting for updates to happen, video drivers to install, games NOT to run. Etc etc etc.
The comment on W7 was related PURELY to Dragon Age, nothing else.
7up
Community Veteran

So stick with 7 or XP then!

There's a reason why so many companies are still using XP - eg cash machines, point of sale devices etc

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
For the simple reason that M$ basically FORCED me and many others to "upgrade" to W10.

Except when you were "upgraded" there was an option to revert back to 7 within 30 days of the upgrade, meaning you weren't stuck with it if you had gone back within that timeframe, I did just that on the spare HDD that came with my laptop just to try out 10 on this machine, hated it, reverted, removed the HDD and put the SSD back in... Smiley

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I took win10 before the release date , as an insider and have been running it all day since and have not found any problems with games or any software .

except Dolby home theater for my sound card , only because Dolby have yet to bring new software Sad

7up
Community Veteran

To be honest I don't see what HMcB's beef is with Win7. It's superior to XP for stability and usability.

No comment on 8 or 10 as i've never used either.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Ohhh, but you never mentioned the great Windows Vista or the marvellous Windows MERoll_eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still