Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is on cloud cuckoo land

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Who is on cloud cuckoo land

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Gordon-Brown-Pledges-To-Give-Everyone-In-Britain-Their-Own-Personalised-Webpage-To-Access-Services/Article/201003315577780?lpos=Politics_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15577780_Gordon_Brown_Pledges_To_Give_Everyone_In_Britain_Their_Own_Personalised_Webpage_To_Access_Services
Everyone in the country is to be given a personalised webpage for accessing Government services within a year, Gordon Brown is to promise.
Every voter will get a unique code which will allow them to apply for services online
The scheme is part of a plan to save billions of pounds by putting all public services online.
The Prime Minister has previously hailed the potential for the internet to slash the costs of delivering services by reducing paper forms, face-to-face contact with officials, postage, phone calls and building costs.
He is now set to use a speech to unveil plans to give every voter a unique identifier allowing them to apply for school places, book GP appointments, claim benefits, get a new passport, pay council tax or register a car.
9 REPLIES 9
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Who is on cloud cuckoo land

It's a nice idea - but about as plausible as the NHS IT initiative.  £12 billion years late and still not working.
The much publicised HMRC systems are still suspect some years into service?  
Paperless Office eh!   I first heard this 'dream' as a much younger man in the eighties.  Now with so much computing power it's even easier to generate paper mountains Grin
I'm a serial disbeliever in Government IT initiatives.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Despite the cynicism, on consideration I realise that I access several Government/public services online and it's more convenient, quicker, accurate and cheaper all round.
As for IT failures, there are some astounding ones in the private sector, they just don't get as much attention.
johpal
Grafter

I realise that I access several Government/public services online and it's more convenient, quicker, accurate and cheaper all round.

About 5 years ago, I applied for a 'Gateway' password, to use the HMRC website for my Tax Credits. It brought nothing but error, compounded by error and put me thousands of pounds into debt, generating some £9000 in overpayments.
I now refuse to have any contact with HMRC, except using good, old-fashioned pen and paper, with a name and signature at the foot of the page (yes, I have returned unsigned letters).
Once bitten...  Sad
artificer
Grafter

if i could find it, i would post many iterations of the smiley rolling on the floor laughing its head off.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I see that the conservatives are going to give us all occupants on the UK 100 Mb by 2013 as well
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: johpal
I now refuse to have any contact with HMRC, except using good, old-fashioned pen and paper, with a name and signature at the foot of the page (yes, I have returned unsigned letters).
Once bitten...  Sad

From April any business with £100k turnover must complete their VAT returns on line.  There will be no alternative.
Santiago
Grafter

The HMRC website is broken and has been for some time. They know this but seem incapable of fixing it.
I have been submitting online returns and accessing my status and statements for some years, a complete service that worked well for me, until they had to give me a refund.
From that point I was unable to access my account to check status or statements, I called them to ask about it and they said "oh yes we know about this, If we make a refund you will no longer be able to access your account to view statements or status" This was two years ago and it is still not fixed.
If I waited two years to pay my tax I would get interest charges, fines and probably locked up as a  criminal. HMRC seem to be able to just flop along with the same old same old. I am not filled with optimism about future government IT pipe dreams
artmo
Aspiring Champion

It seems there is a rush to put everything on line and as you say the existing systems are not working.  A far better approach would be for the government to get the existing systems sorted out first and then tackle new areas to include.  This government has a poor record in IT implementation.
As for giving everyone their own webspace it seems to ignore the many people who do not have internet access or can't use a computer.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
Everyone in the country is to be given a personalised webpage for accessing Government services within a year,

Is he nuts, it will be cracked with in a year.
Quote from: MauriceC
I'm a serial disbeliever in Government IT initiatives.

Me too.
Quote from: artmo
As for giving everyone their own webspace it seems to ignore the many people who do not have internet access or can't use a computer.

You hit the nail on the head.
[Edit]
There is one possibility that the DHSS offices have computer terminals for people to sine on with, but again it will be cracked with in a year.