Did you mean: 

Which is the best free firewall?

Tsonga
Grafter

Re: Which is the best free firewall?

Quote from: scootie
Quote from: greyposter
Vista and Zonealarm are working for me and so is 'Plusnet'.    Smiley

what version vista u runing and what anti virus u running along side zone alarm. all thoe i dont think it was a confilct with avg as i uninstalled avg but zone alarm still froze up.
comodo does the job fine. but has any one used both zone and comodo and tell me if it would be worth trying to solve the zone alarm problem i got?

Never heard of Comodo, but I am surprised that you can't get ZA to work with Vista.  Shocked
scootie
Grafter

well gave za ago again and installed perfect. last time i installed was beging of 2007 so za must of updated.
looked good simply controls unfortonetly installed it just before midnight when it came to start utorrent for free usage. za gave me a pop up to let me get utorrent on the net but people were handshaking but then droping connection and got nothing downloaded so after half hour reinstalled comodo and everything was fine might give za another chance soon.
any one know what za settings i sould of set to let p2p work?
seanbranagh
Grafter

Have been using Zone Alarm for years on all of my computers and others that I have installed for people. I think with it and AVG Free for anti-virus you will not go far wrong. It is also very easy to configure the trusted zones for file sharing within a network. Cannot say enough good things about it and AVG Free.
Although I am happy that my router is blocking most unwanted inbound connections, Zone Alarm is very good at stopping uncontrolled virus downloads. Once in a while when I download a virus from a site (Latest being xrun.exe) Zone Alarm stops it connecting to the internet to get all its friends. Without Zone Alarm you can end up with loads of the evil buggers to clean up by the time AVG alerts you!
Trebor
Grafter

I used to use ZA until I saw firewall comparison tests http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php
ZA is quite a way down the list.
I went for Comodo and have been running it for some time with no problems on Vista.
Xenstar

Comodo Firewall Pro is the best free firewall product I have found. It's quite verbal about warning you about new connection attempts and process creating new folders, etc, but I'd rather know this is happening on my PC than not.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I've just switched to comodo, used sunbelt kerio for years but just recently been having a few issues with a kerio dll causing a system crash.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Used ZA for years without problems 'till I bought a DELL desktop which gave regular blue screens.  Eventually found ZA was causing some of these.  Apparently I wasn't the only one having problems with their latest update at the time - maybe a combination of ZA & XP MCE?
Have been using Comodo for months now on a number of PC's without any problems.  I did try the latest one and didn't like it so reverted to a previous version (2.4.18.184).
Incidentally if you uninstall ZA make 'sure' it's turned off first.  The uninstall will proceed ok BUT if you want to re-install later you may have problems as ZA leaves some crud behind and that confuses the new install - been there - done that - had the headaches to prove  Roll_eyes
Good luck,
John
realafrica
Dabbler

You get what you pay for. Free firewalls are never as good as the ones you pay a few quid for. Microsoft's Firewall and antivirus are [Censored] and should never be used. If you really want protection you should make sure they stay switched off and pay a little for a decent security package.
Kaspersky is probably the best at the moment.
Edit: My description of MS firewall & AV was censored! All I said was c**p, but it looks much better with 'censored' plastered across like that. Smiley
Trebor
Grafter

Quote from: realafrica
You get what you pay for. Free firewalls are never as good as the ones you pay a few quid for. Microsoft's Firewall and antivirus are [Censored] and should never be used. If you really want protection you should make sure they stay switched off and pay a little for a decent security package.
Kaspersy is probably the best at the moment.

Read my link a few posts back, I think you'll find the free firewalls are actually better then the paid ones, and not by a small margin either  Wink
Santiago
Grafter

Oh dear, mine's in the red zone  Embarrassed
Spider
Grafter

Glad to see mine was the top of the tree (currently at least) but it is not free.