cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the best free firewall?

Tsonga
Grafter

Which is the best free firewall?

I will change to a free firewall in a few days, when my current licence expires. Which one should I go for? Which is the best? Which do you prefer?  Cool
PS: If you put 'other', can you please specify? Many thanks!
40 REPLIES 40
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Which is the best free firewall?

I`ve been using ZoneAlarm for years now, and have had no serious problems with it.... Couldn`t say " I haven`t been hacked",  but so far have no evidence I have been.............  It is easy to set up from the download, and starts working as soon as setup is finished..... it reports the number of "attacks" and gives an idea of the seriousness (or not)  .... only gripe I have with it is when they bring out a update, you have to download the whole version and re-install it,  (automatically overwrites)  but does not update like AvG does..... (daily or whenever, automatically, and on top of the original download, even if it is a year ago)  I did send a email to Zone alarm about this problem, and they said,  "that`s the way we do it ....!
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks Shutter!
In the old days, advanced users all used to swear by Kerio and look down on ZoneAlarm. Looks like this has changed. Perhaps ZA has improved, or Kerio has gone down, who knows...
I will go for AVG as well, as this seems to be the overwhelmingly popular antivirus piece of software!
Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

If you haven`t used AVG before, you will find that is simple to set up and install too!......... Look for the AVG FREE 7.5 version as that is the latest version.  once installed, you have a control panel, and it can be set up for automatic updates, you will get a splash screen during the update, which you can X out, and then an "updating" screen, and then a "finish" screen.... No worries, no problems.... Brilliant.... Smiley
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't believe AVG do a 'free' firewall, the version 7.5 referred to in previous posting is an anti-virus package. You need the paid for version to get a firewall.
The antivirus package is simple to use, there is also a free antispyware.
Just noticed that the latest issue of MicroMart has a group test of firewall software. Having had a quick glance there are some free packages included
My other car isn't a Ferrari
nadger
Rising Star

There was a nice offer recently of AVG 7.5 Professional free for 12 months so I grabbed that having used AVG free version for years.
Only thing I found with firewalls was that there can be a clash between XP Pro firewall and ZA - I had speed problems a long time ago and that was cause. Since then I've just used XP Pro as hidden behind router.
pcoventry
Grafter

I've always like ZoneAlarm and AVG it's a good combination.
shutter
Community Veteran

If it`s good enough for Pete.......... then it`s got to be good  Grin
pcoventry
Grafter

Grin Grin My standards are actually quite low... However ZA and AVG ARE good Smiley
clockley
Grafter

Not a ZA fan myself, used to have it and it got irritating, having to authorise everything the first time that you use it.
If you dont mind paying a couple of quid, go for the AVG package!
Carl
pcoventry
Grafter

Good suggestion Mr L Smiley
I have been looking at this and it does look good. Less resource hogging like Mcafee and Norton and also AVG seems to have an as good if not slighty better reputation from what i am reading.
Whatever you go for, it's cheaper than a new harddrive or even a new PC
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: clockley
Not a ZA fan myself, used to have it and it got irritating, having to authorise everything the first time that you use it.
If you dont mind paying a couple of quid, go for the AVG package!
Carl

As I said, I have been using it for years, and to make an extra "click" to authorise  (or not) a "new application wants to access the internet" , isn`t that "time consuming", nor is it "too much effort physically".  seems a strange reason for not being a fan  Embarrassed Roll_eyes 
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Where does the Plusnet firewall come into this discussion?
pcoventry
Grafter

Hi artmo,
Our firewall is our side and is applied to your connection.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Pete
Hi artmo,
Our firewall is our side and is applied to your connection.

Hi Pete,
What does that mean in practice?  Should I use another one and does the Voyager 210 have its own?